SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msdorkgirl

How to make propagated stems into thriving plants?

msdorkgirl
9 years ago

I've added the relevant pictures in the subsequent posts.

YOUNG PROPAGATIONS
Have a couple stems about 3-5 months old that haven't done much of anything, anyone know the best way to get it going? I have no idea what they are, since my success rate is so spotty I just take cuttings indiscriminately and hope for the best. (I had 8-10 I did at the same time and the three are the only ones that survived thus far)

TAHITIAN SUNSET AND PINK PEACE - how to make them bushier?
I also have one that is a year to a year and a half old that is way top heavy (Tahitian Sunset) and another one, about 8 months old that is pretty leggy (Pink Peace).

I guess my general questions are:

1) After the propagated stems take root and have new growth, how soon do you expose it to the outside elements?

2) What do you/add/use to the soil to encourage a bushier plant (and prevent legginess, is what I would call it)?

3) Would it be a bad idea to put in a majorly diluted amount of superthrive to the bottle props that I already have started?

4) I randomly get drizzles of rain to outright downpours at night, should I move the exposed new propagations or are they fine being naturally watered?

Thanks for being such an active community ... I enjoy reading all the posts and should probably stop thinking I need to try every little hint or tip. I've done the baking soda for blackspot, and am now trying the newpaper burrito method, though Hawaii weather might not be conducive since our roses don't usually go into dormancy.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of rose plants all in one page

This post was edited by msdorkgirl on Fri, Dec 5, 14 at 2:37

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting