SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simounagta

Propagation of Michelias by Stem Cuttings

simounagta
9 years ago

Hi, Fellow Fragrant Plant Lovers,

I'm new to this Fragrant Plants Forum and would like to share with you some information as well as learn from you about caring, identifyng and propagating fragrant plants.
I live in the tropics and has been in this fragrant plant collection for 12 years. I don't have a good background knowledge on plants and my involvement has been on collecting, buying and planting whatever fragrant plants I could find in the local market. I'm very fond of michelias as it is one of my main collection and have at present 7 full-grown trees on the ground w/ heights 15 -30 feet of orange and white flower varieties. For michelias that are contained in pots, I have so many seedlings of the orange michelia but only few of the white( air-layered alba). One of my main focus is the propagation of this beautiful plant. Of the orange michelia, I have no problem because at any one time I will have 50 - 70 seedlings. Todate, I have already given to my friends, friends of friends, visitors & enthusiasts about 500 seedlings of15-20 inches height. However, I still feel it would be better if propagation method is one in which the plant will bear flowers in a short time like that of an air-layered plant or from stem cuttings.
My plant collection is intended only for sharing to my friends and enthusiasts, to be given as goodwill items, gifts or for any symbolic purposes. Of particular interest to me is the propagation of michelias by stem cuttings. I had tried it maybe three times before but without success even using 20 cuttings each color. Mine was very simple and crude method by the way.
I have searched in the internet on this but so far have not been able to get a clear instruction or guide. My Fellow Plant Lovers, may I have your suggestions or information on how to propagate the orange and the white michelias by stem cutting method? Any information based on previous experience would be very helpful. I will gladly apply any suggestion with thanks.

This post was edited by simounagta on Tue, Sep 2, 14 at 6:32

Comments (6)