SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
samuella_uk

Help, my beautiful Euphorbia has root rot.

samuella_uk
15 years ago

I have a 64inch Euphorbia something???, it looks like the African Ammak except it was originally from Mexico so I'm not sure.

I have had it nearly 10yrs and it was fine until I re-potted it. I used a professional cactus compost and mixed in the old clay/sandy soil with it as well and made sure not to break to much away from the root system. I patted it down well and left it several weeks before watering.

I had not looked closely at the base for at least a month or two since re-potting and then noticed the base was dark green and wrinkled. I dug away and found that the base and roots were rooting which equals about 10 of the 64 inches.

After reading through many previous posts I took the drastic action of cutting away as much of the bad flesh as I could which wasnt much of the base but almost all of its roots. I have now left it laying down out of its pot in the hope it will dry out.

There is not much of a root system left but not far below the flesh I cut off it is hard and creamy coloured which Im hoping is a good sign.

I really dont want to chop it completely off but is there a chance it will be able to re-root? (plus it is prity hard and would take a saw I think!!)

I read that sometimes rooting hormone is suggested, should I try this? and how long should I leave it to dry out before taking action?

Should I attempt to take cuttings from the larger branches before the healthy parts start to suffer, I dont want to cut it at all but also dont want to loose the whole thing?

With no real root system, how will it stand/ hold its weight while it is waiting to re-root?

and how long can the healthy parts remain without being potted and therefore how long should I wait for it to re-root without jepoardising the rest?

Sorry there are so many questions but Ive had it for 10yrs and would be gutted if it died now.

Thanks for your help. :)

Comments (6)