SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blandyack

City dweller light question(s)

blandyack
17 years ago

Hi all - I've read as much of the light discussions here as I could get my head around, but I'm having trouble relating most of it to my specific situation. I'm in a small NYC apartment (hey Pirate Girl!) with south-facing windows. My plants get 8-10 hrs of light a day, 5-6 of that being direct sun. I'm mainly concerned about my burseras (which I picked in part for their convenient winter dormancy) - most of the posts here emphasize the need for getting them outdoors in the summer, where they'll benefit from maximum sun/air circulation etc. This isn't an option for me, not even a fire escape. Best I can manage is open the windows and stick 'em right out on the sill. Artificial supplementation is a problem too, since I don't have space for a dedicated "grow box". Was considering directed fluorescents from behind a valance on the ceiling, but the plants would be 4-5 feet from the source there. I'd appreciate any thoughts, esp. from fellow city folk who've confronted similar situations. Thanks.

Comments (6)