SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northeastgardener_

City Dweller Absolutely New to Outdoor Gardening

I moved into a new home about a year ago and for the first time, I have a yard to tinker with. As I'm a city dweller, I've never had my own garden - I've always been an indoor gardener and focused on my houseplants.

My question is - where do I start? My garden is already somewhat established - there are two large rose bushes, and a forsythia (tree? bush?), there's mint everywhere, and hostas (?), chamomile, catnip, a fig tree, even some bamboo. I think there's even some poison ivy. Last summer, as a good houseplant enthusiast, I placed my indoor plants outdoors but was not sure what else to do, or even how to arrange these. It definitely felt like a makeshift outdoor living room. I'd like to do something new this time.

I feel a bit overhwelmed (and excited) as again, I've never done outdoor gardening. I plan to take many of my indoor plants outdoors in a couple of weeks and am hoping someone could offer decorating tips, or perhaps someone can suggest another forum? I would love to see photos of some of your own small gardens. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)