SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
irenioskamoska

plants in the city

irenioskamoska
21 years ago

Hello, i live in the biggest city, polluted and everything.

Recently i contacted the authorities in charge of my neighborhood to address them my concern about the reforestation of my street and of the little park near by (an almost all cement park)

The main concern that they let me know was that their priority was security, so in a big city like this there can´t be too much plants, because there can be people hidding behind them, so they accepted only to add some little bushes by the trees. They don´t want to put more trees even do the ones that there are are small and make little shade not to mention that they are not enough to make a microclimate and to protect us from the pollution, they say that they can´t be too close and that trees with big canopies can´t be used because of the electricity wires, and they say that they won´t put ground cover crops because they fear of rats being attracted in this big rats more than people city. There is also the problem of mantainance, they don´t have money to do that, so, even do i insisted that building the soil and puting ground cover and little bushes, and middle size bushes would do the work of mantainance, but it is true that in the mean time we need plants that would resist the process of buiding the soil.

So, what i got from them was that they will take the cement off in part of my sidewalk so i can grow things in that space. and they will put compost in the park so the soil gets better and try to find a small bush to put a few in the small bare soil supossed green spaces that there are.

My question is the following,

can anyone tell me about some solution with city rats in green spots?

do you know of plants and trees better used in sidewalks and parks in the city that met their priorities for security and resistance?

do you have a convincet argument that fit the thinking of this type of people to make them see the importance of triying to build a climax system, and convince them that in the sidewalk aroud the park there can be green and not only cement with no danger to the security issue?

what plants do you recomend me for the shady spots under the trees that will make a good ground cover?

i thank you in advance for your comments and i appologice for my english explanations because it´s not my mother tongue.

may peace and light be with you

Irene

Comments (7)

Sponsored