SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seeds_of_love

Mating Cecropia Moths - need help and advice!

seeds_of_love
14 years ago

Hello, I live in the thumb area of Michigan, and two days ago had a female Cecropia Moth emerge from a cocoon we had found in our backyard. I read about trying to attract a mate for her, so I put her out in a crude wire cage (chicken wire and bird netting) at night on our large deck. The first night it was too cold for the males to be flying (it dipped below 50), but last night it was warmer, and she is currently coupled with a nice looking male.

My questions are - approximately how long will they stay together? I moved the wire cage into our screened gazebo on the deck this morning, so they would be out of the view of curious birds. Will they stay together until tonight, or will they be done sooner?

When they are done,should I put the female in a paper bag right away to collect her eggs, or, if they separate in the daytime, will she wait until night to start laying? Also, I don't think I want to try and care for several hundred eggs, so I was thinking of releasing her after she laid some and letting her finish in the wild. Will she lay all her eggs in one night, or can I keep her for a whole night, and then release her the next night?

Sorry about all the questions, but I want to make sure I know what to do, this is my first time with a mated silk moth! :)

Oh, also, if any of you are nearby and would like some eggs, I am sure I will have extras to give/trade. I would LOVE to have some Lunas! I have never actually seen one up close! :)

Thanks so much in advance for your help!

~Promise

Comments (6)

Sponsored