SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

Cecropias are emerging from their cocoons!

butterflymomok
13 years ago

Last June, I found 4 caterpillars on the Buttonbush. With the help of the BF forum, I identified them as Cecropia larvae. I fed them for a month and then they pupated. A thread details all this and shows photos of the caterpillars and cocoons.

Earlier this week, the first cecropia eclosed (do you call it that for moths?). It was a male, on the smallish side. I released him. Today, a HUGE female eclosed. She is in an overturned hamper, as I don't have any nice cages like Miss Sherry. I am hoping to keep her there this evening and see if a suitor comes calling. Can I keep her there two nights? This is all brand new to me, but so, so, exciting. Of course, it couldn't happen at a worse time! The Tulsa Audubon Backyard Habitat tour is this weekend. Argh! But, somehow we will work it out. Any advice any of you moth raisers can give me would be appreciated. I thought about putting her in my greenhouse which is empty and open the window flaps. There are lots of screens all around. Then I could open it up enough to add the male. Don't know which is best.

And to top it off, I saw my first Monarch in my yard today. I got Monarch eggs yesterday from our local nature center. They didn't even know there were any on the common mw. I showed them how to find them. Then I got some more from out near OCBG where lots of Viridis grows. I'm keeping the eggs separate and hope to pair a couple from the two batches. Then maybe eggs, and then . . .

Sandy

Comments (19)

Sponsored