SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wilsocn

Are there cactus seeds that I shouldnt try given my zone?

wilsocn
12 years ago

Hi

A couple of years ago I started growing cacti thanks to one of those little variety packs you can pick up at places like Wal-Mart. It has turned out pretty well and I even started some San Pedro which are doing good also.

I was going to start another packet but I would like try something different. I noticed that they are selling what appears to be an old man cactus at my local Lowe's so I was thinking of trying that out.

I am just not sure if there are varieties that I should stay away from given my area. I start them under lights and after a few months they start going outdoors and during the warm/hot months my back deck is their home. It receives about 5-6 good hours of sunlight a day before it is shaded again.

Could I try something like Cephalocereus senilis given that under optimal conditions at my home it will receive a max of 6 hours of direct light and only from about March till cold weather gets here again? Will it do ok in a sunny window during the cold months?

I am open for any other suggestions as far as different types of cactus are concerned.

Thanks everyone

Comments (3)