SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monsteraston

Shouldn't ALL of my hydes be waking up by now? 8a

monsteraston
7 years ago

Hi all! Hoping someone can calm my nerves, I have conflicting evidence that is beyond me to decipher and googling hydrangea dormancy tends to only answer "is it dead?" questions.

The short version is: why are some of my hydes still dormant? Mophead and Oakleaf are awake, Smooth and Panicle are showing no signs of growth. (But they are alive.)

Details below:

There have been many warm, sunny days here in Dallas (starting with temps in the 80's in early February) waking up everything, and then some, in my gardens except for certain hydes. Some cold snaps but a very very comfortable Jan, Feb, March.

- The East and West facing mopheads are sprouting leaves nicely

- The North facing oakleaf is awake

There are two types: smooth and panicle (NE and East facing respectively) that are solidly dormant. Shouldn't they be showing some life by now? I could swear the Incrediball has sprouted leaves by now in years past. The Little Limes are new, so I have no history to draw on with them.

Scratching away bark shows green underneath, soil moisture isn't soggy or too dry, not sure what else to check. We had a very very mild winter with lower than usual - I think - chill hours, could that be a factor? Is it just too early for them yet in this zone?

Very grateful, as always, for the wisdom of the forum!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths