SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
napdognewfie

I Was Up All Night w/ My Dog

napdognewfie
16 years ago

My 150 pound Newfoundland AbbiRose ate an entire 24 oz container of raisins. They are deadly to dogs & cause renal failure & you only have about an hour to get them out of their stomach. I think I found her right after she ate them because the drool was still wet on the floor & she had only been alone in the kitchen for about 10 minutes. All she left was the lid & a couple soaked pieces of cardboard. It was 1:30 am & I was panicking. I lost my last Newf to bloat in the middle of the night like this when I couldn't get a vet. Really bad memories. I woke my DH & he helped give her 2 Tablespoons of Hydrogen Peroxide to make her throw them up. Waited 5 or 6 minutes. Nothing. Repeated the dose, worrying my dog is going to now get bloat because of all the bubbles. She is foaming at the mouth & drooling all over in the back yard & there's me in my night shirt & slippers, begging her to PLEASE PUKE. The neighbors think I'm strange anyway. I ran back inside & changed into sweat pants & an old shirt since my night clothes were soaked from the drool. Figured the peroxide wasn't working so I tried feeding her a couple tablespoons of mustard. Now I have a bubbly, drooling YELLOW mess. It started raining about then, too. Now we are trying to keep the mess & the dog off the back porch & keep pushing her back onto the patio. All 3 of us were soaked by then. I sent DH to Walmart for Ipecac Syrup, he couldn't find it even with 4 store people looking with him. They don't have it. I thought that stuff was something everybody kept on hand, I don't have it anymore because the baby is 17 & I hope he has enough sense not to eat something he shouldn't by now. While DH was gone, I had one last thing to try before calling the vet (they want them to throw raisins up first before bringing them in anyway). I opened her mouth & tossed in a handful of table salt. That only took a very short time & up they came with another gallon of yellow foam. We stayed up the rest of the night watching her to make sure she was still drinking, peeing, & acting normally. I fed her a couple cups of cooked rice mixed with 1 1/2 cups of activated charcoal. She gobbled it right down & crunched the charcoal like it was candy. So far she looks fine but it was sure a big scare. Never, never feed you dog raisins, grapes, onions or pork but now you know how to make your dog vomit if they do get ot them.

Linda

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus