SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spammie5_gw

Does this EVER happen?

16 years ago

I don't normally post here, but after what happened to me 2 weekends ago, I had to share this story and pictures to prove!

Has anyone had a butterfly just allow you to pick it up and hang on to it for an extended period of time? Let me share my experience...2 weekends ago, my husband and I who own a radio station were in a neighboring town broadcasting for a all-day festival of sorts. As we were packing up our equipment, I looked down and saw a beautiful Monarch butterfly walking along the ground. I attempted to gently let it walk into my hands expecting it to just fly off, but it didn't. It let me pick it up and hold it perched on my fingers for several minutes. Several minutes turned into almost 10 and we were packed up and ready to head home. I decided to try my luck and see if it wanted a free ride and slowly got in the car. I then carefully put him on my shirt as to free up my hands and he just sat there.

We had to make a stop at a friend's place where they were getting ready for a big outdoor bash they have every year...we get out to talk to our friends and my new winged friend is still on my shirt. Expecting him to surely fly off since we were outdoors and it was pretty breezy, we visit for close to 30 minutes before getting back in the car to finally head home.

Butterfly friend...still with me, still on my shirt!

We get in the car and finally I see a little bit of activity from him. At this point I am wondering if when I picked him up originally if he had been hit and was stunned or something. I mean, butterflies don't just do this...do they?

We continue to travel home - about another 15 min drive...get home, butterfly still with me but now back in my hands. I go into the house and right out the back door. I have what I anticipate to be my last treasured moment with him and then gently set him on a golden shrimp plant on my patio. He sits there just moments and then flies off just as if he is the healthiest butterfly in the world.

From the time I picked him up to the time he finally flew off, he was either on my hand or perched on my shirt and this lasted over an hour at least. My husband was there for it all...he is my witness!

I have my own thoughts about this amazing situation...but really wanted to know if anyone else has ever had this happen to them?

Here are pictures from the first leg of the trip in the car!

{{gwi:473335}}

{{gwi:473336}}

{{gwi:473337}}

It was truly amazing! Couldn't believe it was happening the whole time. Honestly I figured it was injured...there was no way this butterfly would hang out with me for more than an hour. And in the car??? Just crazy!

Comments (7)

Sponsored