SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shmeal_gw

Master Bath Almost Done

shmeal
16 years ago

Well, we ALMOST made it by Christmas. I can't believe how quickly and how smoothly everything went once demo started. Our GC came in on December 12 and everything just fell into place. The tile guy & GC complained mightily about how this tile job was so complicated but I think they also relished the challenge.

The floor was a dark walnut travertine laid in a Versailles pattern and until we realized that the dots were two different sizes we were all in a panic about how it was going to end up with straight grout lines. I spent a couple of hours separating the larger (by 1/8") square tiles out from the smaller square tiles. The floor makes me happy every time I walk in. There was only one place that he had to cut the tile to get the pattern to fit properly and it ended up under the door jamb that leads into the potty closet. Once the door is rehung no one will ever see it.

The rain shower head is leaking so DH took it off and put the nipple back on until the plumber can get here after Christmas.

Our cabinets were delivered three days early and our granite was delivered two days early. When does that ever happen?

We are thrilled with the craftsmen that our GC uses. They showed up when they were supposed to, they worked hard, tried to keep the job as clean as they could, and did very good work. The floor and shower grout will be sealed on Monday. Painters come in on Wednesday and then we just need a couple of tiles set around the tub, now that the granite is in. We also need to purchase a couple of shower arm mounts for our handheld. We bought the bar not realizing that it won't work because of the chair rail. Not sure when the shower door will be installed though.

The granite is Copper Canyon and I chose the slab that had the most veining in it because I love the variation of color that brings in. The shower and tub tile is Crossville Palais (the 12x18 pieces were not consistently sized so I got to hear some complaining about that). The faucets and fixtures are Grohe Kensington. The cabinets are custom by a shop our GC likes to use.

Here is a link that might be useful: here's a link to pictures from today

Comments (2)