SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_t23

Vriesea flower spike maturation

paul_t23
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

This is the first time that I've paid close attention to a Vriesea flower spike that has looked like it might produce a few mature pods, so I'm not really sure of exactly what to expect and since it carries a couple of crosses that I really want, I'm more than just a bit anxious!

The plant in question is a Vriesea 'Uluru Sunset' with a couple of pods that are x self and a couple that are x 'Emerald Meadows'. The pollinations started in mid November last year so now it's around 8 months down the track. The bracts have been going brown and papery for quite some time, but up until a couple of weeks ago the pods and the stem have been firm and green. Since then they have started going brown and yesterday I noticed that the stem had started to shrivel, but still with no sign of the pods splitting. Here it is.

Vriesea 'Uluru Sunset', 8 months after pollination.

{{gwi:480934}}

So, to the questions! Is this browning and shrivelling of the stem part of the normal maturation process and I should just wait until the pods split before I harvest the seed? Or, does the shrivelling indicate something sinister and I should remove the pods and try to rescue the seed (if any) as soon as I can?

All thoughts will be very welcome! (NB apart from the shrivelling flower spike, the plant looks nice and healthy).

Cheers, Paul

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions