SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunny631

mistakes I made last year

sunny631
14 years ago

This will be my second year winter sowing. So last year was trial and error. Some things I did wrong I thought I would share so maybe others can learn some things not to do.

1) Probably the biggest mistake was lining up the jugs along the house. With the HEAVY rains we get here in Va Bch all the rain water would fall off the roof and displace the seeds in the jugs. Had huge amounts of seed/sprouts that just got pummeled.

2) labeling. Gosh, this was a pain. I tried sharpies (fades) nail polish ( flakes off). I don't know exactly what I am going to use this year. Suggestions?

3) Over seeding my jugs. I got so many wonderful seeds from people here I couldn't contain my excitement.I wanted to try them all. So, I did.Come planting out time the roots were all jumbled together and hard to transplant. Thinning worked some but I lost a lot of stuff by just putting too much in a jug.

4) opening the jugs. Here in VB we don't get very cold winters. So come Feb or March we get some almost nice warm days so things would start sprouting. So I would go out and open the jugs to let the sun in. 2 things happened. Some things burned in the sun and others dried out so quick and I didn't think to water them. Also, forgetting to close the jugs back up at night. So the cold temps or heavy rains would take care of killing the things I was trying so hard to care for.

5) using moisture control miracle grow soil. It was on sale. Don't use that. Actually had better luck with the cheapo soil. But I prefer to use Sta-green which I could only find at Big Lots around Feb.

6) nursing weeds. enough said.

7) planting out too early. Very little made it. I should have at the very least used ..what are they called? Protective covers of some sort. Again..the rain pummeled all my little sprouts. Had to re sow.

8) not sowing enough veggies. With the limited space I was afraid to sow too many food producers. Not knowing what I was going to do with them prevented me from sowing more than swiss chard and 3 tomato plants and some lettuce. You will want the food when it starts growing. Also, mixing the chard and lettuce in the flower bed. I wasn't exactly sure what I was harvesting wasn't a flower or weed so I decided not to eat it. When I get better at recognizing them I can do this but not until then.

9) not making big enough drainage holes. Just making slits doesn't work. You need holes.

10) Being new at gardening, when I finally did get around to planting out I paid no attention to how big things would get or how small things would be. I just plopped them in where I had room as things grew. So as time went on my garden got smaller and smaller. Not wanting to waste the space I did have I just put plants where I had room. Although I had lots of flowers, not all survived due to the larger plants shading out the smaller ones.

So that's all I can think of right now. This year I will make some changes. I am also looking forward to seeing all the perennials I planted last year hopefully flower. Oh yeah, one more. 75% of the seeds that I got from value seeds never germinated. Tried both winter sowing and indoor sowing when weather warmed up. Will not waste my money this year. So, I hope this helps someone out there. Good luck all.

Sunny

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County