SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcfromfl

Anyone else have trouble starting 'specialty' seeds?

bcfromfl
16 years ago

Hi everyone --

I'm in my second year of "semi-serious" tomato growing...whatever THAT means! lol Anyway, I didn't want to make the same mistakes I made last year, with too few varieties to experiment with, starting too late, etc., etc.

So, this year I'm trying to get four successful seedlings of each of the varieties I want to try, because I know "stuff happens" as you try to get them to the transplant stage. (Any extras I'll give away.) I ordered several varieties from Totally Tomatoes, plus had leftover seeds of the Big Beef Hybrid from last year. I'm not trying Brandywine again, because the yield was pitiful and the taste not as good as the Big Beef.

Well, all four Big Beefs I sowed germinated the first time, and they're growing as I expected. But I'm having hit-or-miss results with the following varieties: Cherokee Purple, Mortgage Lifter, Solar Set Hybrid, Sweet Baby Girl, and Tami G Hybrid. I just re-sowed the "no-shows" for the third time this afternoon. I've got representative plants of each variety, but I can't seem to get four each. They either fail to germinate at all, or start, stall, and then fail. I presume the latter happens because they fail to set roots, use up all the energy in the seed, and croak.

Transplant season (first week of April here) looms on the horizon, and I'm not going to have robust plants by then. Does this lower germination rate happen to the rest of you? Also, do you have any tricks in selecting the seeds with the best chance of germinating? I've been inspecting them under a magnifying glass before sowing them, and trying to pick out the "plumper"-looking ones that are slightly darker in color.

Thanks!

Bruce C.

Comments (5)