SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heavenlyfarm

My first wintersowing project! Tips? Very excited!!

heavenlyfarm
10 years ago

Hi,
So I'm taking the plunge and heading back down the rabbit hole and going back into my passion of gardening again!! This year will be my first year attempting winter-sowing as well....as in the past, I have either started indoors (with varying results and leggy seedlings everywhere) or after danger of frost, in pots all over my porch. I also managed to order myself a patio greenhouse for Christmas to use along with the jugs and containers.(I assume it basically is the same concept?)
I'm planning on positioning the containers and greenhouse on the east side of the porch where it gets sun only till a little after noon and then shade. Now once they sprout and I can open them up during the day when its warm, can I move them to the south part of the porch that gets primarily full sun all day? Also, the patio greenhouse, i will just be using normal flats in since it is covered in plastic.
Also, maybe not related to winter-sowing exactly but I am excited in a few things I bought!! Besides the patio greenhouse I'm getting, I also will be ordering a seedling nozzle for watering(the disappointment and frustrations of the normal hose will be gone!), ordering weatherproof markers( and they better work so I can not strain my eyes and try to decipher what everything is), also now have a rubber-maid container to hold seed starting soil in!! I do love being organized and it seems my 'comeback' as I will call it, will be a success this coming year! I feel like its been ages since I did gardening and had my porch filled with pots and seedlings and my seed list is so bleh right now since I'm basically starting over!
~michael

P.S. Do they really make the old milk jugs elsewhere? Because all the stores around here, carry those new white ones which irks me cuz you can't use them right?

Comments (39)

Sponsored