SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikep_cfl

Rookie needs some advice - HELP!

mikep_cfl
15 years ago

Hello everyone - sorry for the long post.

I have been "lurking" for a long time. Somehow, I caught a bad case of CHAD (lol) and finally placed my first mail-orders. I really, really, got carried away. I'm still waiting for my order from RC (4 bulbs).

Twenty-four Amaryllis bulbs are now in containers - outside in direct sun. I thoroughly cleaned the bulbs, pre-soaked them and planted them in a mix of 1/2 pine bark fines and 1/2 Miracle Grow with a tablespoon of limestone thrown in. The mix seems to drain very well. I did not apply a fungicide and I'm not over-watering. They have been in pots since 11/19.

Our FL weather has been up and down - generally lows of 45-50 to highs of 70-75. Generally a little cooler than normal. When the bulbs were pre-soaked (indoors) scapes started to emerge. Since they were planted they seemed to have stopped growing. There are only a few signs of rot - areas I missed. Those areas are mostly above the soil line.

I'm concerned because I've noticed some of the bulbs are getting soft. On others, the outer skin layer is parting and and appears to be drying out. A few of the Hadeco bulbs, in particular, appear to be turning an almost pink/copper color.

I've already concluded I should probably construct a mini-greehouse to get me through our FL "winter." Is there anything I should be watching for? Are the temperatures I described appropriate for the bulbs to be outside? Should I be covering the bulbs at night?

Thanks

Mike/Central Florida

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor
More Discussions