SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mistakemaker

Rookie Needs Help with Western WA/PNW Lawn

Sam Nunn
7 years ago

Afternoon folks -

First time owning a home with a lawn and really struggling with what are probably lawn care basics. The good news is that I'm eager, open minded and willing to learn.

Lawn Background & Care So Far

• western Washington lawn
  • new construction with sod laid in May 2016
  • regular watering in summer
  • fertilized with Scotts fall lawn food
  • sprinkled Pacific Northwest Mix grass seed in patchy areas in the fall
  • regular mowing when it needed it - bagged, not mulched
  • does not appear to have weeds or moss (yet)
  • unsure what type of grass this is
  • I have no idea what I am doing as you will see soon

Front Yard

Patchy coverage, uneven color and overall, very wet. West facing, gets lots of sun in the summer. There are areas that are matted down and clumped up. It looks like the birds got into one section and ripped the lawn apart.

Backyard

This side of the house is shadier. Better color but still very patchy coverage in areas, almost muddy. In better shape than the front but not by much.

Questions

1. It's early March. What should I be doing right now for a lawn in this condition?

2. I burned my lawn last time with Scotts in some areas. I want to go organic. Is Espoma lawn food a good start?

3. I think I should have aerated in the fall but have no idea. Is it worth doing now when the ground dries up?

I do not think I am doing everything I can to help my lawn. Time to get educated. Any advice you can pass this lawn care rookie would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (42)