SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryan_1985

Neonate trouble shooting

ryan_1985
14 years ago

Hello everyone (first post!). I'm green to the green thumb thing, having bought my first cacti in August, so any help with a positive I.D. and/or diagnosis with my problems would be much appreciated.

In the link below there are pictures of two cacti I bought from a greenhouse. My uneducated guesses are Stetsonia Coryne or Tichocereus Peruvianus for one and Acharagma roseana or an Arrojadea for the other.

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/Ryan_1985/

The stetsonia/tichocereus had some deep scabbing around the base that I noticed once I brought it home (it was kept and watered in tandem with much more moisture-needy plants, and was potted too deep). Being new to this, I might have gone overboard over this Summer and Fall with anti-fungal treatments (which the other cacti received just to cover my bases), mostly consisting in sulfur sprays found in generic garden care shops. (I should also note that on more than one occasion I stupidly set these out to dry in the sun--and I live by the beach so it was a lot of intensive rays for a long time.)

The scabbing hasn't really spread on the one cactus, yet further blemishes and marring around the spines (including rings of necrotic tissue I think) have grown consistently, as well as a buildup of what is either fungus or mold, or maybe sulfur deposits from my aggressive treatments. (This is that mustard colored fuzz/coating seen in some of the shots). Similar burn or fungi can be seen on some parts of the acharagma/ arrojadea.

Anyone have any ideas on the prognosis? Am I to blame (which I hope so, as the solution is easy)? I am at a loss as what to do.

If it helps, btw, the potting mix is well draining and a rock-coarse sand-cactus soil mix, and they all get plenty of south window light.

Comments (14)