SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
richsd

lowest deset adapted trees for the future- my hopes

richsd
10 years ago

Like me, some of you may tire of the tried and true low desert adapted trees found throughout Phoenix (and to a lesser degree in Tucson and LV.) As much as love and respect palo verdes, ironwoods, mesquites, I wouldn't plant any these in my yard because they're so boringly common.

While these trees serve their function of durability and moderate attractiveness, I think the plant breeders and University staff need to do a lot more work to increase the various genus,species and (cultivar) varieties grown here.

Here are some of the qualities I'd like for new desert adapted trees for Phoenix: adaptability to alkaline soil without turning yellow and stunted; lush, full canopy that actually shades strees so kids can play in them; moderate to low water useage, and easy propagability. I realize we have so many negatives going against us (alkaline water/ soil, texas root rot, caliche soils. crazy monsoon winds.)

With this in mind, I've purchased some little known oaks species from Texas purported to handle high heat and allaline soils. we'll see fare. they're little sticks right now (but that's how I like buying my trees.)

For example, I've proven that with a little extra effort, crape myrtles can flourish in hot Phoenix, provided given water and nutrients as needed. I've ordered more varieties.

In summary, a city in my opinion is so much more interesting with a wide variety of tree species. I can't help think about Sacramento. That city truly loves their trees, and they good reason to be proud. Their tree species variety is incredible! While Sac certainly has better growing conditions than Phoenix does, they can teach us some valuable lessons.

When I try to get information on a University sponsored horticultural resouce, I generally don't bother with the UA website. California's resource is so vast compared to ours it doesn't even compare. Not to slam our State, but as we all know, it's all about money and economic importance. Arizona has NO money.

If fact, does Arizona even grow any commercial oranges anymore? I know they grow lemons (esp. around Yuma), but my hunch is that the difficulties of growing oranges here is just to great to make economic sense, so growers have just given up (die back, nematodes, chlorosis, water costs, land pressure issues, frosts.

Who has anything else to add? I haven't lived here for decades like some of u, so I'm no expert to AZ issues.

Comments (8)