SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Grassy Leaves, need confirmation, think they're young lily leaves

aliska12000
12 years ago

I've been pulling them like crazy because last year a 6' square patch covered a lot of my ws containers, finally got it cleaned out, my thruway to my garden spots. I wouldn't have thought lily leaves would have sprouted so many in one summer plus one kind doesn't seem to do it, often at least.

I thought they were some grass that got loose. Took some photos today and found the yellow one on the web at wiki that look like the exact same thing. They mostly appear around all the lilies but some migrate to other parts of the yard that don't get mowed or whacked, and I'm afraid a ditch lily may have gotten mixed in but may be 25' from these and I try to keep it deadheaded.

The youngish narrow leaves with the crease is what I've been pulling as shown in this photo, all photos below what I described about them.

{{gwi:428668}}

But it's right by this daylily, Hans? something and a yellow group that got a bunch nearby, my yellows not shown, done blooming but have Rozanne scrambling through them.:

{{gwi:428669}}

Here's a clump of ditch lilies back by the alley. You can see the same thing in these. I know they're ditch lilies even though they aren't blooming and am thinking about Roundup, don't want them and especially don't want them mixing with my daylilies, but my neighbor has a bunch and seeds easily blow to me and can grow anywhere. They are indeed invasive.

{{gwi:428670}}

Then I found this at wiki, looks like the exact same thing to me:

{{gwi:428671}}

Do you think that's what they are, I should quit yanking them or what would you do? They were really thick in that orange one that is a cultivar, Hans or Hall or something, and I've practically cleaned them out but many left nearby mixed with thorny roses, iris and hosta, travelling.

I suppose if I let them form a colony it's not the end of the world, but I do not want ditch lilies mixed in anywhere.

NOTE: A red daylily called Baja which was a freebie I planted by the fire hydrant, and it has multiplied which I want it to but not with leaves like this. Actually it's not multiplying very fast; it's pretty there, red with yellow throat better than ditch lilies some people plant by hydrants, etc.

Comments (11)

Sponsored