SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

They're Gradually Leaving

A few days ago there was quite a heat wave, with temperatures up to 104, which for the roses must have felt at least like 114 with the large areas of concrete and huge boulders on a steep hillside that gets the sun all day surrounding them. Everything looked like a wreck, badly scorched leaves, frizzled blooms and naked canes where even last year there had been a cover of leaves. Once again, I took inventory. Charles Rennie McIntosh, Souvenir d'un President Carnot and Sister Elizabeth, which for various reasons were not thriving and either were constantly covered in mildew or refused to grow, are now gone. An own-root Carding Mill, which has been basically five 8-inch long twigs for a year and a half, almost went to heaven except that it suddenly put out one or two mini leaflets. Hard to believe that when I had this rose before as a grafted plant it immediately grew and bloomed when it hit the ground. Almost forgot about Heirloom, which I also turfed out, because even in a shady spot where it got a few hours of morning sun about three months ago the bloom was scorched. It bloomed again and was scorched even more. It will scorch no more. I almost dug up Fragrant Plum because all of its new growth was withered, but decided enough carnage had been done and it gets another chance. So does Love Song, which also is a teensy thing, not even a foot tall. I'm watching Maggie and Deanna Krause carefully since they're in areas with morning shade and afternoon soon, as is Jesse Hildreth. So far, even though they're small, they're holding their own.

My two Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux, one in morning sun and one in all-day sun, both seem to be doing will even though they're just kids, with blooms on both. Madame Lambard has mildew but also some new growth so I'm hoping it will grow up to be a good rose. It had lovely spring blooms but then quit growing and blooming. One of my best roses is Rosette Delizy. I have the hope that for some more years I'll have at least a few dozen roses, assuming there is an end to the drought at some time.

How are everyone else's roses doing? Are there problem roses that aren't doing well because it's too wet or too dry, too hot or too cold, or they just have rampant disease? What about your stand-out roses that are tough as old boots and yet beautiful? Selfishly, I'm most interested in roses that have done well in a dry and hot climate, but I'd love to hear from everyone.

Comments (58)

• garden nut z9b
    7 years ago

Feel for those with heatwaves going on a second week of temps in the 100's and I had to transplant cuttings from sand to gallon pots so I've been misting thhrought the day to keep my cuttings alive and have been watering my dbd and copperopolis bar bands as they are quite small and haven't done much growth wise since the sac sale

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked garden nut z9b
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    7 years ago

I do feel it really helps to share the downs as well as the ups along the way. This could help rose growers more than half of the story.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Related Discussions

They're cute when they're not eating your hostas!

Q

Comments (15)
    I still love the deer, they are so beautiful, especially the babies. We put up a deer fence along the woods and now they leave me alone. It is heartbreaking to go out and find your hostas mowed down, been there. Sometimes they are so smart, they come in through our driveway. What I did notice is they only bothered the old solid green junk hostas. Couldn't figure out why, then I thought maybe because all of my good hostas and roses get the Bayer 2 in 1 applied every 6 weeks or so. Maybe something in that makes them taste bad.
    ...See More

They're Changing Guard at Buckingham Palace

Q

Comments (41)
    I am surprised 'Ploughmen's' lunches are so popular in London, especially when you consider the lack of agriculture in the area . . . although my late Mother could remember sheep grazing in Hyde Park and it is possible to see horses being exercised in Rotten Row. Mary, a TV ad. claimes that more cider is being drunk in the UK these days, but it's from an Irish co. that produces the stuff. In this neck-of-the-woods they make a local 'rip-gut' variety; powerful strong. There should be a better choice of beer/ale about these days, other than the dreaded Watney's Red Barrel that used to dominate the market some years ago. Britrail passes are still available but you may need a second mortgage to travel by train. Travellers are in the ridiculous situation of using trains to get away from the over-crowded roads, only to find there are not nearly enough seats, especially for peak-time journeys. The rail co's increase the fares partly to put people off from this method of travelling, plus general greed and claims to spend the extra cash on 'upgrading' the service. Still the best way of seeing the country IMO. An elderly US Aunt always uses the train when over her . . .often going in totally the wrong direction . . . and has made endless 'friends' on these journeys. Here is a link that might be useful: Britrail passes
    ...See More

WhatIs causing leaves to gradually yellow?

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi! I've added fertilizer and Magnesium but I'm not seeing a difference. And I have watered. The plants get a little over half of day of sun some of it being afternoon sun so maybe that's it. We have had a hot September. These plants have been in the same spot for years and I've not had this problem. Thanks so much for your suggestiongs !
    ...See More

I think they're telling me something... they want their own post;)

Q

Comments (51)
    I have a wild kingdom going..and I would think Crows would make fast work of Mantids. I used to see Jays and Mockingbirds..but once cats started in this neighborhood,rare to see them. Possums would make a snack of them...they eat anything. Even the number of fence lizards has gone down..when they had showed up for a few years out of nowhere. Same for Garter Snakes come to think of it. Could be the wet weather 2 years in a row spread everybody out?
    ...See More
  • jardineratx
    7 years ago

Here, the problem has been excessive rain and flooding. The roses have had no need for watering, that's for certain. Last spring and summer were very similar and the rains did not stop until mid-July. The one good thing is that we did not have our annual "thrips" convention in my garden. I did remove one Heritage rose that has always been a stingy bloomer and I also replaced Caldwell Pink with Felicia. I expect the temperatures to soar this week and my roses will have a sauna to deal with.

Molly

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jardineratx
  • User
    7 years ago

:-) Molly -- we're hosting the "Thrips Convention" here this year -- as well as the Rust and Fungus Exposition.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Marlorena, Forever Royal is beautiful! In some ways it reminds me of a pansy. If that color is correct it's a deeper purple than IHT, although of course temperature makes a big difference.

Jeri, you may be shivering but I bet you'd rather do that than fry. From what I remember you can't stand the heat any better than I can, and of course you know it won't last. I hope you'll still have at least a month of cooler temperatures before the big guns come out.

Lynn, after looking at all your candid shots I can tell you that your worst rose probably looks better than my best rose. Your small plants are not only blooming but they have no disease and not even a yellow leaf! My roses are covered with dead and dying leaves, and none of my younger roses have abundant blooms like yours. It's hot where you are, without a doubt, and yet my roses are much more stressed than yours. I can't begin to figure it out, but want you to know that you should be very happy with what you have because your roses are doing splendidly well!

Sheila, thank you for mentioning the coral buds of PAoK. In my alkaline soil it wouldn't surprise me if the open blooms weren't less pink than I would like them to be. That's happened to me before, colors being different in my garden from those of the same rose posted by others. I had no idea that Blush Noisette liked the sun because the blooms look so fragile, so mine only gets morning sun. The rose is bigger than yours, but more lanky and not bushy at all. Duchesse de Brabant has the ugliest blooms I've ever seen on one, small, pale and anemic looking, and I made sure to plant it where it was shaded in the afternoon, since the previous ones died in the sun.

Molly, I've seen pictures of the terrible flooding going on it Texas. I hope you and your roses are not in one of the worst-hit areas.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Your opinions about Duchesse de Brabant are interesting, Ingrid, and I totally agree with you. Most of my roses are thoroughly researched prior to purchase. DbB is one that I did not expect to shrivel and burn when temperatures hit 90 degrees. It seemed as though many people in Texas with hot summers were having success with DbB. I can only conclude that the moisture they may have makes a difference? The recent 6% humidity that makes the experience of temperature here seem 6 degrees cooler obviously doesn't make a difference with roses. I am disappointed with this rose thus far.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I took these pictures a few minutes ago. This is what most of the garden really looks like. Some of you may remember what it was like in past years or even earlier this year. The pictures are small but if you click on them you can get the full impact of what is happening here.

SdlM on the left and two dying butterfly bushes in the back, drip watered every second day.

SdlM with Potter and Moore to the right

Aunt Margy's Rose, in the past always full of blooms

Miss Atwood, drip watered at least every second day

Mrs. B.R. Cant #1

Mrs. B.R. Cant #2

Maggie at the front and Jesse Hildreth at the left rear

Carefree Beauty after two years - no flowers at all

Mme. Antoine Mari

dying crape myrtle - one of two in distress

• kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

Its going to be a long hot summer. Keep that mulch thick and try not to feel despair. I saw an old rose out near Hemet surviving the heat. The gardener said it grew slowly and mostly in the cool seasons to its present size. They were not giving extrordinary amounts of water. I think once they get a good bit of shade on the ground cast by their own branches, they can cope with the heat better. Newer plants always struggle more than the older ones. I'm sorry about the crape myrtles. Have you had anyone come out to look and make suggestions? What do other gardens in the area look like? Same exact problems?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

I would use a hose and give the Crape Myrtle trees a long, slow, deep watering, Ingrid. Mulch makes a significant difference. I have very thick layers of a compost/mulch mix around the base of the roses where the soil has not been finished with bark mulch or some other product.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
  • jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

Wow, I admire all of your perseverance and determination to grow roses in the "desert". Is there anyway to protect them from the scorching sun in the afternoon? This may sound far fetched but in Japan and China, they protected their peonies with umbrellas from the sun. Would something like that work on roses as well?

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

I feel for you Ingrid. I am too early here 21 months to have it all figured out. This week, we have had 96 F, 103 F, 101 F, 102 F, 98 F. I am getting own root roses primarily. Upside surprises have been how well all the OGRs and Rugosas have done. The recent (1/16)) Teas, with the sad exception of Jesse Hildreth (10/15), have l think been really solid. They seem to be starting to put out growth from the bases of their tiny bands. The oldest, Jesse, looked great until a late Spring freeze in March 2016 cut him down, and I no doubt messed him up further. We'll see how they handle next Spring. My Chinas have been very cheery. The David Austin roses have been pretty great. The Hybrid Musks have also been pretty great, but I feel they would prefer it cooler. Variegata di Bologna is great here, where SdlM is more delicate. She started too early, then had frost damage, and now has mildew. Lamarque (ARE) has been challenged probably by black spot last fall in the rain, then maybe some freeze damage this Spring I should have cut off earlier. No leaves fall off here in the winter, which is new for me. I need to remove old leaves to better clean up in the Spring. Soleil d' Or is perfectly healthy here,shockingly.

Original Author
    7 years ago

To begin with the crape myrtles, they do have a thick layer of mulch and have several times had a hose set at their base all night with trickling water, in addition to drip watering. The ground is wet and the leaves are burned to a crisp. The same is true of the roses. I would have to shade roses of varying sizes eight months out of the year and that I'm not willing to do. If they can no longer survive here I will let them go because the climate is no longer conducive to the survival of most of them. There are no other gardens near-by. No one really gardens here. It's either native vegetation (which is slowly dying, the live oaks more quickly), an irrigated orange grove next door which may not last much longer, and a vineyard across the road. Most people have a few plants near the house in the shade or nothing at all. I seem to be the only crazy one. One place has a long row of dying oleanders which are diseased, more orchards are further down the road where the oranges are no longer being picked, and a few houses have drought-tolerant plants. I've bought umpteen bags of mulch which seem to disappear into the ground in short order, and the soil is better than it was, at least in some places, but in some of the pictures you can see the concrete and boulders, and you would not believe how much radiation the roses have to endure, which burns the leaves and canes even if their feet are under water. It is what it is.

Sheila, I'm really happy that your young garden is doing well and that the roses are withstanding the heat and thriving. I know that there are several people here who have quite high temperatures but still manage to have beautiful roses and you're now one of them. I firmly believe that the lack of the usual winter rains in this harsh environment is what is different now from what went on before, and different from what most of you encounter. It's just something I'll have to work with. When it gets cooler all those bare spots will be filled with drought-tolerant plants that I won't have to agonize over.

7 years ago

Worried time would expire. I all in all am thrilled with the rate of growth, challenged by the too early growth, then late frost problem. Shocked by how much blooms improve the second Spring. Shocked by the coloration variations I never experienced in the cold climates. I realize I have a lot to learn. I also know without irrigation, I would never be able to do this.

Sheila's garden. · More Info

7 years ago

Ingrid, I didn't see your last post before I posted my mishmash. I believe you that the radiant heat you are dealing with, is related to "climate change" , and has complicated variables including your beautiful rocks and receding water. This is such a challenge in totally reverse of my move to "easier" weather for gardening at my age of 63 now. You are facing a more difficult gardening life as you mature on an area the weather has taken a turn for the worse. I know every one here admires your ability to carry on in spite of this great challenge. I am still hoping for more rain for you. My husband loves the Grand Canyon and it is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I think you, Ingrid, are making an oasis in the desert like the redbud on the Bright Angel Trail I think it is.

7 years ago

Could the Crape Myrtles have some other issue negatively impacting their performance, Ingrid? Maybe this is a long shot, but I have taken samples of plants etc. having issues to local nurseries that employ horticulturalists, and they have been very helpful in diagnosing and suggesting treatment for ailing plants and trees.

Your roses are progressing beautifully, Sheila. I was especially drawn to the deep red rose and the lighter pink rose bush in first image, especially, as my 2 Duchesse d' Brabant look horrible right now and will likely be replaced.

Btw... You have good looking soil too!

Lynn

• User
    7 years ago

Sheila, your roses are just wonderful, I especially like the one 6th photo down, pinkish/red with white centre, what's that one called please?

Ingrid, I'm rather shocked and sorry to see your treasured roses suffering so, I had been thinking the irrigation you supply would keep them ticking along, but it must be so distressing for you to see this every day now... yet, the background is still green, those delightful slimline conifers that I love so much and the other bushes, I'm amazed they haven't all gone brown and shrivelled.

Your 'Jesse Hildreth' seems to be doing alright from what I can see.

+Jeri, I'm glad you liked my IHT alternative. I notice the blooms close up at night which is rather cute.

Lynn... your 'Blush Noisettes' are just fantastic for such small roses. Mine are only just beginning. The rest look much better than you imagine I think, at least they do to me.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
    7 years ago

Lynn, I think you mean Andenken an Alma de l'Aigle (Kordes 1948) hybrid musk, and Munstead Wood. Marlorena the red single is Eddie's Crimson hybrid moyesii. I agree Ingrid's Jesse looked very good. I also love your Italian Cypress Ingrid. I have been very impressed by Andenken which seems to be in constant bloom. The top photo white is Bubble Bath which is also the healthiest rose ever. My color scheme is suffering from a bit of HMF pictures looking nothing like the color of the plant here. I did at least try to separate warm from cool colors or it could be worse.

• User
    7 years ago

'Eddie's Crimson', I've heard of that I think, or is it 'Eddie's Jewel'? maybe the same, but thanks Sheila, too big for me, but I think the forum should collectively encourage Ingrid to grow 'Tipsy Imperial Concubine' as I firmly believe it's made for her garden, not to mention the fact that it complements her other interests.

I just had an email from David Austin roses to advise that Princess Alexandra of Kent is one of their top 5 roses to grow in shadier areas in this country. Of course these top 5 roses might just be the ones they want to shift, but oh I'm being cynical..

I don't think this rose is at all suitable for Ingrid's garden, just a personal hunch there, and not really my place to say...but there we are...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked User
    7 years ago

PAoK could be worth investigating, Ingrid. Mine is grafted, and new for me this year. I purchased it because of the beautiful blooms, but more importantly, rose growers in hot to very hot summer climates were having success, some even giving high accolades to this rose. I too was concerned about it appearing salmon. Mine has only appeared pink... thus far.

I can completely relate to attempting to separating the cool pinks from the warm, Sheila. Because I have not seen so many of the roses I have purchased in person, variances due to computer screens, photo editing, climate, seasonal, soil differences etc., exist. The best I have been able to do is plant a white between questionable pinks. I guess there is really something to waiting for roses to bloom before you plant them, however, even then, they can mature and begin looking different.

When my block wall ceases to be a place for the lizard and squirrel morning commute, I will go out and snap a picture.

7 years ago

PAoK

When it was cooler, the color was deeper, cooler pink ( ratty rose on the image but hopefully the color shows).

Several minutes ago. Prior to opening, it kind of looks like rose pink.

Lynn

• comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
    7 years ago

Thank you for sharing with us this visual confirmation of the true, harsh reality of your ongoing garden troubles, Ingrid. For some of us, that sort of honesty takes a certain kind of courage - or desperation. Please forgive us if not all of our comments and suggestions now and over the years have been as helpful to you as genuinely intended. It reminds me of when I very occasionally share things about my weird, currently almost totally disabling illness and everyone tries to suggest a 'solution', without necessarily realising they're all the obvious things I've tried many a time, or which are way off for some other reason. It can be disheartening for all concerned.

FWIW, I think if we could, we'd all be round at your place tomorrow, offering many a ready ear and willing shoulder for you to cry on, followed by a major group session in your garden, trying to get the full 'lie of the land' for ourselves. Then sitting down and brainstorming a step-by-step list of realistic solutions - or at least ameliorations - if there are any, with you. And, of course, pitching in and doing the hard physical labour as necessary to resurrect your garden into a haven of health and beauty you can fall in love with all over again.

Not sure if that's helpful, dear Ingrid, or just makes it worse, but sadly, it's all I've got at the moment (apart from yet more suggestions along the same old lines of radically improving the soil, and inviting in some of that tough local native vegetation for shade and shelter, that are not at all what you want to hear). Long-term drought, taken together with already challenging conditions, is a formidable enemy of dreams.

Hugs, Comtesse :-)

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked comtessedelacouche (10b S.Australia: hotdryMedclimate)
  • Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    7 years ago

It is hard to see the struggles in most of California when up in Siskiyou County we have water aplenty and Shasta Lake is full again. I admire you for your determination and feel sorry for the plants all over in need. I am currently in TX, granddaughter was born Sunday and from the air there was water everywhere. It is good for everyone to see the photos in good times and bad. Water is such a precious thing. My wish for a more moderate summer and early fall rains. My first roses are just opening, my neighbor tells me they are beautiful. My struggles have been the wildlife and what I thought were gophers are probably voles as they have eaten the tops off my Margaret Merrill just as she was about to bloom. We've seen the climate change as more thunderstorms and heavy rains in the spring and I hope they continue. My neighbor reported the weather had cooled off (up in the low 90s during the recent heat wave) and thunderstorms were rolling in.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Anne Zone 7a Northern CA
    7 years ago

Marlorena, There is also an Eddie's Jewel, which I don't have. I wanted the plain species Moyesii but I couldn't find it. That is also big I'm sure. Lynn, I'm interested that your PAoK is not coral leaning in bud. Mine is own root if that makes any difference. I would have thought our tones would have been the same. This happened on Rosarium Uetersen too. Somehow I had noticed all the pinker pictures, and blocked out the coral. I guess I can look away until the blooms "mature" to the pinker shades if I'm too bothered. I'll probably do that rather than relocate them.

Comtesse, I think your first paragraph was very well put.

• mariannese
    7 years ago

Our problems are very different. We had a mild winter with no snow cover at all when only two or three nights with -20° (4F) killed one of my roses and reduced several others to a few little green shoots at ground level. I lost the remontant moss René d'Anjou but the others seem to be coming back, slowly. I will open my garden on July 3 (a nationwide event) but I haven't decided yet if I'll mention to the visitors what is lost or not. Perhaps it would be educational for them to know what's reliably hardy or not.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mariannese
    7 years ago
    I also worry about all the intended roses out there. I went by a cemetery in Concord to take pictures of the roses in bloom. I found that out of about 7 rosebushes 4 remain and and are in sorry shape. I no longer feel a little guilty taking the cuttings I did during the winter. Many of them are healthy branched plants now. Sad to think of the roses yet unfound.
    7 years ago
    Sheila, what is that gorgeous 2 toned orangish beauty? The fourth picture down?
    7 years ago

Anne, That is Grace a DA rose.

7 years ago

Anne, My Blairii #2 has no flower buds. Do you have any? I thought I might have a couple off the old wood but not yet. Planted 11/29/15 Palatine.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

Ingrid, Although your love may be roses, I bet you can grow some gorgeous Ceanothus and Fremontodendron that I can only dream of. And Garrya, and Arctostaphyllos, and Romneya and...sigh! And you can coddle some roses as well. I suspect that I will need to transition from roses to other plants in the next few years. Chamaebatiera, and Fallugia, and Philadelphus microphyllus, and Cowania have their charms (or so I keep telling myself). That being said, Old Blush is doing remarkably well despite relatively little water or care, and still blooms in the heat. I have to admit, though, that it is not my favorite rose (by far) since his has poor flower form and almost no fragrance. Here's this year's spring flush. In the heat, the flowers are now much darker.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

That is a great looking Old Blush, Noseometer. You show beautiful little artistic glimpses of your garden. One day, please show more?

Lynn

• towandaaz
    7 years ago

Ingrid, many of my roses have fried over the last week of record temps. Many leaves are literally burned. It's sad and I do what I can, but I look forward to monsoon season here which will cool things down. I have the occasional bloom here and there now and of course, I cheat by picking up a few roses that have blooms to satisfy my rose addiction. Some rose bushes cost less than an arrangement! I'm learning that letting nature take her course and going with the flow is ok as much as I don't always like it.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked towandaaz
  • noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

Lynn: Wow, thanks! Those "artistic little glimpses" are much easier to construct than making the whole garden look good. I sometimes remember to post to my blog, but I've been sorely neglectful of photographing and posting this year. I've actually been rather jealous of Ingrid's garden with its dramatic topography and borrowed landscape, as well as many of the other gardens I see on GardenWeb. My garden is so new - just took out the back lawn last year, so there is not much to see yet, other than close-ups of flowers. Drop me a line if you are ever in this neck of the woods (or rather, sand).

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    7 years ago

I also am jealous and admiring of Ingrid's garden. There is something so special about it that does include the topography and and borrowed landscape you are right noseometer. The challenges are daunting as well. Alaska was like that in reverse. It was so beautiful but so challenging and limiting at the same time for the opposite reasons that Ingrid deals with.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I may not have the roses I'd like to have but how wonderful to have rose friends whose support and caring lift me up more than you can all imagine. Even sharing your beautiful roses here in this thread with me has cheered me up considerably. Your success feels like mine too.

comtesse, thank you from the heart for your wonderful words. What you endure makes this seem like a zephyr, even my own physical challenges. I'm the one who should be comforting you instead of the other way around.

A sort of plan is beginning to form in my mind, a glimmer of which just came to me tonight when I was looking at the garden, and it's too nebulous to share at the moment, but what I do know is that there will be fewer roses in my life. I won't miss them because if they're not happy and beautiful then I can't derive any enjoyment from them. There are still some in afternoon shade like Annie Laurie McDowell, Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux and my beloved La France that are in good shape, and a handful of others here and there, like Jesse Hildreth and Madame Lambard. Some of the small roses look horrible now because I have branches around them to deter the squirrels and rabbits from nibbling them, but that won't always be the case. Even though I may admire them, like Princess Alexandra of Kent, I won't be buying any more roses for a long time, if ever. This summer I'll be studying the ones I have and watching how different ones do in the heat. By fall I will have made plans of how to restructure the garden, and frankly I'm looking forward to that. It's not all doom and gloom; it's a challenge and a change in direction which I welcome because I want to be able to look at a beautiful garden again, and the fact that it will have to be different will spur me on. I'll still be here to share it with all of you.

• mariannese
    7 years ago

It's too cold and windy to go outside just now but I took a picture from the window of some of my few roses in bloom, Agnes, Hansa and Double White. They all smell good so it's quite pleasant to dump the garbage in the wheelie bin.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mariannese
  • erasmus_gw
    7 years ago

I have been thinking that having a lot of roses can get boring. I think I like a variety of plants in my garden because there is such a variety of plants.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked erasmus_gw
  • mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

Ingrid, I feel for your temps and garden. We were 108--109 last week for several days and have cooled off to 104 or so. It is supposed to be about 100 today and cool off into the 90's over the weekend. We are still under water restrictions as we have been for the past several years. Only can water 2 days a week. Only before 7 am and after 7 pm. Zero watering from November through April if we got rain that week. Otherwise it is watering one day a week in April and in December. Again, before 7 am and after 7 pm.

My "white" house (actually a faded yellow that I can't afford to repaint just yet) and my vinyl white fencing reflects the heat and sun like there is no tomorrow. The rest of the yard in the sun has reflected sunlight from cement. Yes, you could probably fry an egg on it and they often will do that on the local news channels when it gets hot.

Most of my roses are in their second year and are going through adolescence. They don't always look their best but I know things will get better when they mature a bit. They are all on own root except for my newest Candice, which I will propagate on its own root next year. For now, she and many others are in plastic or resin pots.

I moved my Princess Alexandra of Kent from the front yard (she was way too big for the spot) to the back this year. A lot of her root system was cut. She is still pumping out blooms but not as big as always. They did fry (which was unusual) in this last heat wave. I am not asking nor expecting much from her this year. I know next year will be different. She does love the heat. She rarely, if ever has any apricot coloring for me in my alkaline soil. She stays mostly a medium pink.

My Lady of Shalott, which did mostly nothing last year, was moved into a large pot. She gets partial morning shade and afternoon sun. She is pumping out blooms like crazy this year and is doing beautifully. She is only two years old with me and she will probably be planted in the ground next year where she will continue to be in partial shade. She is getting huge BTW.

Candice seems to be thriving in the heat as is Flamingo Dancer, Munstead Wood, Eyes for You (although that one gets some morning shade since it is so new and still quite small--less than a foot in height), and Blue for You.

Others that continue to do well for me are Pretty Jessica and Wedding Cake, Sequoia and an unnamed Ralph Moore rose. Others going through adolescence right now are Vick's Caprice (although he appears to be doing well), Occhi di Fata (sent up huge canes) and others for me where the jury is still out include Sister Elizabeth, Mary Magdalene and Alnwick. They had to replace my Peppermint Parfait since they sent me Paul's H Musk (lord help me) instead. So it is way too new to comment on it at all.

I know my second year roses on their own roots never look that great for me. Especially since "they" say (actually the nursery where I bought them) not to prune them until the third year. I could not pay attention to that with PA of K as she was way too big for her spot (at the time) and I ignored that also for Munstead. I just had to prune back my Lady of S rose as she was also whipping folks (me) in the face as I walked by.

So, it looks like for me and with my heat, the following continue to be fantastic roses for me. Munstead Wood, Pretty Jessica (although she does get some afternoon shade where Munstead gets morning shade and the brunt of heat and sun in the afternoon), Wedding Cake, Princess A of K, Occhi di Fata and perhaps Vick's Caprice. Jury is still out on Candice but it looks like she will come through with flying colors. Others that appear to be good but are too new are Blue for You and Eyes for You.

Sorry you are going through this. You have a shoulder for support and to cry upon any time you need one. Hope this helps.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

Sheila, thank you for information on 'Grace', she is beautiful. My Blairii No. 2 had a couple of buds which something has eaten, so no flowers this year. My 'Geschwind's Orden' from them is just covered in buds which I hope are still blooming when I get back to my sanctuary late next week.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Marianne, that is so beautiful. The rugosas are such tough roses in the right climate. I have three Wild Edric, Austin roses that have to be 95% rugosa and so are totally unsuitable here and therefore have rust, but I can't resist their occasional large purplish-red and fragrant blooms.

Erasmus, I couldn't agree more. That's especially true of the straight modern roses, but why deprive yourself even with the older, bushier ones? My favorites are the reblooming irises which add color many times during the year and even without flowers the foliage is a nice contrast. Right now some blue ones are blooming and the yellow ones have buds.

mustbnuts, your temperatures are much worse than mine, and I'm glad that in spite of that your roses are doing well, especially considering how little water you're able to give them. I use gray water from the sink mixed with coffee grounds (my husband drinks a lot of the stuff) because every little bit helps. I'm taking note of your list of roses that are doing well, just in case, because despite everything a part of me still wants to have those magic roses that are beautiful to me but can stand even the worst heat.

Anne, I can so relate to something eating the buds or in my case "trimming" the prettiest flowers ragged. However, those are mostly near the ground and the bunnies and squirrels have to eat too. The squirrels do climb all over Bermuda Kathleen and eat the leaves, but this rose is located where they have their homes so I'm not surprised.

P.S. I just looked up Candice, and what a glorious rose. The different color shadings are really lovely and the old-rose shape of the bloom is gorgeous. I hope yours will be a success in your garden.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    7 years ago

Anne, Does your Blairii No 2 repeat for you? It repeats for some.......

Ingrid, Sorry to see that, the weather is too hot and dry for your lovely roses there. It was 42F this morning here, not sure which area is worse. Just try to cheer you up a little.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My goodness, summer, that's a little on the cool side for this time of the year. That would take some getting used to. Right now it's cooler than it has been and that's such a relief. Generally the worst months are from July to October in terms of heat.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    7 years ago

Ingrid, I just love Candice. She is one gorgeous rose. Colors are so different on her. She is in a large pot and I have had her only a couple of months. She is full of buds again and should be blooming again soon. Since she is in a pot, she gets watered more frequently (extra water from the house, etc.). I think she will be a definite keeper. She has not shown any heat stress so far. I am looking forward to trying her on her own root. Of course, I have no idea where I will plant her but I will worry about that in a couple of years.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • towandaaz
    7 years ago

Mustbe, I just ordered a Candice and looking forward to her doing well in my climate. I ordered it largely due to your beautiful photos - thanks for that. It's good to hear she's doing well for you. I was also thinking Ingrid... I have lost countless other plants in my climate/environment due to weather and critters. Hydrangea? Yeah, right. Gardenia? Smells great, can't take the heat. Love chives and parsley? So do the chipmunks. Like Gerber Daisy flowers? Hope you like looking at the stems. So many slow deaths. I hate to think about how much I've spent so I just don't think about it. We're gardeners. We garden and let nature take its course. I get down sometimes and write about it in my garden journal, but then the sun comes up another day and it's so nice to see the good things. At the moment, I'm seeing munched-on rose buds by grasshoppers. Seems to be quite a colony of them this year. No disease yet - that comes in the Fall. I was irritated yesterday because I picked up a no-name "Vig Rosa Patented Assortment" red rose and when I got home it was infested with spider mites. Swarming. How charming. I really don't understand how I didn't see any when I was looking at the bush at the store - very strange because I did look at it. Now it's in quarantine getting spray baths for a while. I learn more every day...

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked towandaaz
  • kittymoonbeam
    7 years ago

I know you love your view, but maybe there's a compromise to be had. I have seen roses growing on a lath house in the riverside area where the roots are in the shade and half the plant is outside in the sun while the other half is inside the lath wall. The roses inside do not scorch, they may wilt a little in the heat. You could still cut them in the morning and bring them in. Maybe you could interrupt your least favorite view. I had hoped the trees would provide that kind of relief. The other challenge is the fast draining soil. You're a rose pioneer out there. Somebody nearby probably loves your garden.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked kittymoonbeam
    Original Author
    7 years ago

towandaaz, I hear you, best not to think of all the money spent (wasted?) on roses and other plants that did not perform or were eaten or didn't like our gardens. But we always live in hope that the next purchase is bound to do better.

kitty, for the first time in decades I feel less interest in roses than I ever thought I would. Rather than devoting time and energy to finding a way of growing them no matter what, I want to have a garden that is easy to care for as I get older, will not be fazed by the reflected heat and poor soil, not to mention inadequate winter rains, and will allow me peace of mind rather than dissatisfaction. Having said that, I still have areas around the house that are shaded from the afternoon sun and where I've gradually improved the soil, and I hope to have roses there for years to come.

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    7 years ago

I don't think it is money being wasted. Everyone have a choice on what to spend their money on that makes them happy. It happens that roses makes us happy. I don't think I can do without roses in a garden. I believe that only roses can bring that romantic feel to a garden. I do agree however, that fussy plants whether they are roses or not is not worth it to grow in the garden. I learned that the hard way and shovel pruned some underperformers this spring. I will give a rose a few years to establish and if it just doesn't do well, then either I move it to another spot or it is gone from my garden. I believe that life is short and no point of wasting time in regrets. Gardening for me is an adventure. A garden is a reflection of life itself; always changing and evolving, dying and living.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
  • Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

My Duchess d Brabant does very well in the spring and great in the fall. The summer it usually sulks a bit. It took a few years for mine to really get going.

I remember our drought and that was bad. You all have my sympathies for dealing with a lack of rain. We are very hot here too, high 90s. But we will normally get a thunderstorm in the afternoon that can cool things down.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

jjpeace, in terms of money the only regret I have is the many roses I got rid of either because at the time I didn't how how severe my conditions were or I did not choose wisely. I don't regret a penney I've spent on roses that I enjoy or that enrich my life but over a period of 9 years I've probably discarded over 100 roses and who knows how many companion plants. Nevertheless, the joy has by far outweighed any regrets I might have about that.

Buford, I imagine your climate is hard on man and beast, especially the humidity, but those thunderstorms are a huge blessing. What I wouldn't give for just one or two! Still, we have to deal with whatever conditions I have. At least the mosquito is not the state bird of California!

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    7 years ago

Here it's the humidity, not the heat. Which frankly I prefer (as I sit here trying to stop sweating because I was out watering). I cannot stand dry air. I had to travel to LA a lot years ago and would spend the whole time putting in eye drops and spraying my nose with saline solution.

ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9 thanked Buford_NE_GA_7A
    Original Author
    7 years ago

That's so funny Buford. Even though it's so dry here, when by brother and sister-in-law were visiting from New Mexico they complained about the "high humidity" here! I guess it's all relative!