SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caliloo_gw

Bought a few and have questions on several (pics)

caliloo
12 years ago

Hey all

First time poster on Begonias. Needless to say, until a couple of years ago I had only bought market packs of begonias and stuck them in the grounds and pretty much ignored them. I know, I'm sorry...

Anyway, last summer I was visiting my local nursery and the begonia folks were having a plant sale/fundraiser so I bought 4 of them in those little 3 inch pots because I thought they were kind of cool and would look nice in containers in my shade gardens. I moved them up in pot size a couple of times since then and then I decided to bring the containers in and try to overwinter them and they all lived! YAY!

So fast forward to this spring. Here it is Mothers Day and after spending a fantastic day with my family, they decided to let me stop at a different local nursery on our way home. As I was wandering the shade plant section I stumbled across a couple more begonias that said "good for containers" and since the foliage was cool, I bought a couple more. Now, I am up to 6 varieties and think it is time to learn more about them. It seems I have done so much wrong, but my original plants are still alive so I'm not sure if it beginners luck or what.

So I'm sorry for writing a novel here, but I would love to post a few pics and have you all give me suggestions on fixing a couple and what to do with my new purchases.

TWISTED SISTER (which I think is doing okay)

{{gwi:433638}}

{{gwi:433639}}

JOE HAYDEN (which also seems to be doing okay)

{{gwi:433641}}

ESCARGOT (doing well - how big will this thing get? I have uppotted 3 times already!)

{{gwi:433643}}

COWARDLY LION (Looks like carp. I would love some advice on this one)

{{gwi:433644}}

{{gwi:433645}}

The following two are my purchases from today. I brought them home and took pics. Should I up pot them? Stick them in the ground and dig in the fall? Keep them in larger containers? Will I be able to overwinter them? Suggestions on care is WELCOME and ENCOURAGED!

RED KISS

{{gwi:433646}}

HUGH MCLAUGHLIN

{{gwi:433647}}

If you have gotten this far in this LENGTHY post I applaud you and gratefully thank you for any insight you can offer.

Alexa

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH