SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juddgirl2

Hutch finally refinished! Pics and a few questions

juddgirl2
13 years ago

After several hits and misses I'm done refinishing my CL hutch. This process has taken me so much time and effort so please, please don't tell me if you hate it or if it looks terrible in the foyer! It's so tall that this is the only possible room where I can use it.

The hutch is an an antique replica supposedly from Pierre Deux and it has great bones - solid wood and dovetailed drawers. Unfortunately, it also had about 40 years worth of furniture wax on it that took several weekends with wax remover, acetone, and a toothbrush to completely remove.

My first intention was to get rid of the very yellow-orange pine and use a multilayered stain/colorwash technique to replicate the RH St. James furniture. This didn't work out so well and I ended up using an espresso glaze over a solid coat of BM Baby Turtle.

I ended up loving the final result. It's cottage style but my house is a mix of rustic and cottage so it should work. I think it lends a touch of color to the foyer but still keeps the overall monotone, subdued look.

Below are the before, during and after pictures and a brief description of the process. Sorry for all the pics - just thought some might be interested in the during pics in case it's a look they might like them instead of the final result.

Now I have a few questions about decorating in and around the hutch and would appreciate any advice all of you decorating experts may have. Please!

1) I replaced the large, dented brass knobs with smaller Baldwin knobs in ORB. Just realized they're lacquered and are more matte black where all other knobs in our house are distressed ORB w/living finish. Should I change these out to match other knobs' finish?

2) Do you like the knobs with or without a backplate? I only have one backplate right now but can get more samples if it helps to compare.

3) I definitely want to display my ironstone collection. I have many other pitchers but so far I've only displayed 5 on the top shelf. Should I add more, less? I have a large rectangular ironstone platter I could use centered on the top shelf.

4) Any ideas for decorating the smaller shelves and top of the cupboard w/out cluttering them? I just put a few items from other parts of the house there for now, but I was thinking of using a bowl or basket for keys, etc. and perhaps a row of crystal votives on one of the shelves. I also have some glass fishing balls I could display.

5) Should the hutch be centered on the wall or moved to the left or the right? I have a parsons chair that I'd like to slipcover in linen and use on either side of the hutch if there's room.

Before - CL picture

After hours and hours of cleaning and bleaching. Was so tired of refinishing that I tried using just one coat of Light Brown Briwax but it brought back the yellow so I scrapped that idea.

After a water-based grey stain:

Second coat of ivory glaze and 3rd coat of brown glaze on the crown - the crown detail looked okay but the rest of the hutch was too blotchy. I just don't have the talent.

After 2 coats of sprayed BM Baby Turtle, General Finishes Van Dyke Brown Glaze, and 2 coats of sprayed polyacrylic.

ORB knob w/out backplate

ORB knob w/backplate

Comments (81)