SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mountaineergirl_gw

shopped for granite yesterday! Have several questions...

mountaineergirl
14 years ago

Well after checking out this forum daily for the past month, I finally decided I was educated enough to start looking for my new granite. Our house was built 11 years ago, I have white cabinets, wood floors, and white laminate counters with an oak trim that matches the floor. So a couple months back my DH super-glues something on the counter and damages it. (DUH!) So he says we can get granite counters (well, this winter). Our kitchen is on the north side of the house, we have a covered wrap-around porch so no direct sunlight gets in. This is the reason I chose white, I don't like dark kitchens. After reseaching for a couple months, I was sold on darker counters, because I like the contrast (uba tuba, peacock green etc) until I went shopping yesterday!! now I'm not sure...everything is beautiful!

ANyhow - my questions...

1) I was told yesterday that they put a "life-time" sealer on the granite - no need to ever do anything to it!! Is this possible? does anyone have this?

2) do seams show up less in darker or lighter granite? I thought I read here that darker was better, but was told yesterday that lighter will hide seams better

3)This one place charges by the job, not sq.ft - is that better? Is it OK to have the granite paid for before installation? One of the granite suppliers I checked with requires it paid in full BEFORE installation!

4)was told it would be cheaper to go thru a contractor because the granite would then be wholesale price. I kind of thought eliminating the middle man would be cheaper.

5) I looked at uba tuba, peacock green, verde peacock (thought they were the same thing until yesterday) and then new venetian gold (which I liked WAY better in real life than in pictures), which is why I'm now confused. Was so sure I wanted darker until I looked at the NVG. BUT, then was shown a sample of verde butterfly and I think this is what I want - trouble is they only had that sample, no slabs. I am going to a larger granite yard in the next few weeks that will have it, and they can get it for me from there (its a couple hours away from here). Soooooo....

show me pics of your verde butterfly and verde peacock!! It looks as if the butterfly has some white/cream spots in it that may blend better with my white cabs.

Also I looked at one called "silver/gold" ??? had not heard of it on this forum, anyone have it?? it was BEAUTIFUL! had lots of flecks of metallic silver and gold (obviously) but forgot to ask what price range it was in. I'm sticking with the low/moderated granites as you have probably guessed from my choices.

THANKS BIG-TIME for any advice/comments you have!

Comments (18)