SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vervelife

Several questions / need opinions

Hi all,

I'm just launching into the framing stage of my new build. I need to get a lighting plan together. I will work with a lighting vendor where I can select each fixture. My concerns are not with the aesthetics but with the function. I'd like to develop a list of every fixture I need before I head in to shop. I've got a good start, with about 40 fixtures necessary but in some places I need advice. Thanks in advance for taking your time to help me out.

1) With a ceiling height of 20', will can lights give enough light after the sun goes down? I will use some task lighting (floor lamps) for things like reading. I just need some light to walk around and not trip really. The space is 20' x 22'. I'd like to have 2 ceiling fans but I'd really prefer not to have lights on the fans themselves. This leaves me with cans as an option, unless you folks have some other idea.

2) My front porch is 12' deep by 7' wide. It has a vault at about 14' high. How many lights do I need here? Can I do one hanging lantern and a wall mount closer to the doorbell or do I need two lanterns? If I do two lanterns do I need the wall mount?

3) I'd like to do wall mount sconces in a small hallway. The hallway is about 7'6" long. Is this space too small for 2 sconces? Would one sconce look silly?

4) Does a shower with a 2/3 tile wall with the upper section glass need a light inside it?

5) Are cans okay in closets? I've only ever had "boob" lights in closets.

How much sqft can a single 60w bulb cover at 9' ceilings?

Phew! That's a lot of questions!

Comments (3)