SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nunlef

I have a bog area, now what? please help ;)

nunlef
12 years ago

Hi,

We bought a house last summer that has about 1/2 acre that is wet(ish) year round. There is a small stream that flows even through the heat of summer, and a spring that surfaces at one edge (it runs most of the time, but just a trickle).

This area cannot be mowed easily because our tractor gets stuck, and it is in the far corner of our property (a 5 acre square). The only trees at that corner are along an old fenceline, I have no IDs, but I'm guessing they are whatever likes to get natually planted from birds sitting on a country fence ;)

We are looking at putting in 3 weeping willows, of course. and that's pretty much it. We do have cattails growing there, and watercress - all of that is natural in the area. PH runs about 7-7.2 and there isn't any significant agricultral runoff to worry about.

I would love any suggestions for this area. I tend to like low maintaince gardens that fell natural and casual. We already have a formal garden planned around the house, so we just want somewhere to sit with the kids and watch cars (or tractors, as the case may be here) go by.

Oh, all plants need to be kid safe and dog safe, deer resistant isn't a primary concern, but would be nice.

Thanks so much,

Heather

Comments (11)

Sponsored