SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodenzoo

What have I done? And what do I do now?

woodenzoo
18 years ago

I just purchased a mini (on sale of course!) It has blooms on it and looked nice in the store. Once I got it home, I found it dropping entire 'branches' of leaves along with a few petals. It was dry...

Impulse buy... I had not given any thought as to what I was going to do with it once I got it home. There is snow on the ground and the temps are in the 20's and 30's. What are the chances of it surviving if I plant it outdoors now? Would planting it in a more sheltered area for the winter and transplanting it in the spring help? Do you think the branches falling off is because it was dry? Will it survive? I don't have proper lighting to keep it inside.

Ack! lol Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cathy

Comments (3)

• quietyard
    18 years ago

Hi Cathy! It is hard to pass up those minature roses, isn't it? I live in Arizona so I can pretty easily grow these rosed outside. I however would not think it a good idea to put yours out in the snow and cold right now.. It is probably newly come from a snug green house environment and that would be to big of a shock. They are not happy in the house but perhaps if you put it in a bigger pot with fresh potting soil and adequate but not to much water it might do a little better. It really does need several hours of sun tho. I am not sure it will make it inside, but it never hurts to try! Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

Chalk it up to a learning experience. Some people say if the ground is not frozen, you can still plant outside. And, if it was dry in the store and dry when you got it home, it was already a goner. They need to be kept watered, and they need a lot of light. You can try to save it, but they are not an indoor plant. Always check on the overall condition of the plant before you leave the store. There is a reason why it was "on sale".

Here is the primer on "gift" roses: How to save a potted gift rose
    Also check out: questions about the winter

Consider it a nice temporary decoration. If you want to try again, then next spring (early May), go find one that is fresh and has been watered. Bring it home. Follow the directions in the "How to save" thread, and plant it outside. You'll have a nice plant.

• woodenzoo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks!
    I've decided to re-pot it and will take it over to my mom's as she gets much better light. If it doesn't survive, well, at least I'll have tried.
    Cathy

Sponsored