SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

Winter Sowing Primer and other questions.

denninmi
14 years ago

I'm sort of embarrased to admit this. I'm a very experienced gardener, but I have some real questions about this technique.

I'd really like to do a lot of this for next year. Every year, I get so many healthy volunteers of things. And, what often amazes me is that things come up very early, and things which would seem to be frost tender, such as volunteer squash, often seem not to really be damaged by those May cold snaps.

The other thing that impresses me about the concept is that I often have volunteers of things which are hard for me to get to germinate by doing the traditional method of planting in flats in my greenhouse in the late winter/early spring with bottom heat, etc. Nature often does a better job than I can, it seems.

Are there any good websites out there that would be a primer on this topic?

What is the basic timeframe to sow most of things? I am assuming it needs to be done AFTER its cold enough to prevent germination in the autumn. We have our significant cold set in usually after Thanksgiving, would that be about right?

What CAN'T be done with this technique. I was thinking beans, as one example, but I had a number of volunteer beans come up this spring from last year's pole beans, so they might even work. Corn and melons probably not so much, either, I think they would rot, but perhaps even they might work.

Thanks. Please help a dumb guy!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals