SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melt_in_the_sun

About to redo front yard - thoughts/advice?

melt_in_the_sun
13 years ago

Hi all,

We live in northwest Tucson (HOA subdivision) and are planning on redoing much of the front yard gradually over the next few weeks. The front of the house faces ESE. Here are the pictures and our tentative plan:

Front porch area: here you can see the stump of a palo verde I recently removed. The fountain grass is next to go. We're planning on putting in:

- A texas mountain laurel about 18 inches to the lower left of the palo verde stump (size concern? very compact/slow grower, right?)

- Tecoma stans (orange version) where the fountain grass is, probably two plants (plan on keeping their size down to 3-4' or so)

- Yucca gloriosa (variegated) between the front porch and the driveway, up and to the left of the stump (reflected heat potentially a concern?)

{{gwi:420039}}

I'll be taking out these three Texas Ranger bushes soon. I'd like to put in two pineapple guava (feijoa sellowiana) trees to replace them, but will step them back from the driveway a little so I can build basins in the depression you can see in the second picture (can't get it to rotate; sorry!). That way they'll pick up any runoff from the back yard. I'll put something in by the electrical box, perhaps a mexican bird of paradise.

{{gwi:420040}}
{{gwi:420043}}Here, the tied-up dasylirion wheeleri will be removed, and I'd like to put an emory oak (quercus emoryi) a little to the right of that spot (building a basin here may be a little bit of work).

{{gwi:420045}}

Here, the two hesperaloe parvifloras in the mid-upper part of the picture will be removed. I plan replacing the far one with an octopus agave (agave vilmoriniana). I also plan to plant two Aloe Ferox; one where the large rock is, and the other on the very left side of the image, near the two smaller rocks (are these difficult to grow here?)

{{gwi:420047}}

That about covers it! Any comments are welcome. I'm trying to make our landscaping stand out from the bland-ness of our community.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting