SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

Signs of recovery from summer's heat

grant_in_arizona
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Even before yesterday's rainy weather and the upcoming "cooler" forecast, I've noticed over the last couple of weeks a few plants that were not happy with summer that were starting to perk up. Have you noticed it too in your gardens or around town?

Things like my leafy penstemons (P. parryi, P. superbus, P. eatonii (my favorite)) which entered semi-dormancy and just sulked for the summer, partially wilted, have perked up a bit are have new fresh foliage just starting to emerge from the growing points. Some of my cacti and succulents which are not lovers of hot-nights that were just a bit yellow are returning to green and blue again. My tangerine beauty cross vine is re-blooming now and making some tentative new shoots, and my citrus plants are all making a nice flush of fresh green growth. Hollyhocks that looked almost boiled for most of the summer are now perkier and making new foliage again....the list goes on and on. What about things in your garden? Are you noticing any signs that the lovely autumn weather will be back??

Obviously I grow a ton of plants that rejoice in our long hot summers, so I don't have a whole garden full of summer sulkers, LOL, but the plants that I'm growing which aren't fans of the blast furnace are starting to perk up--are yours?

Take care and happy gardening,

Grant

Comments (7)