SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ninaco

how do you know if ocotillo is alive?

18 years ago

With all the rain, a lot of plants are so green and growing. Right now I am in the middle of clearing a very, very overgrown yard (I rented, then filled an 8 ft tall city dumpster 1/3rd the way full with branches and weeds and things)- seems the last owners weren't gardeners but there's a lovely place under all the mess.

Now I am tackling the area outside our courtyard walls. It's not gardening- it's more like hard labor. Mesquite and other plants are so thick one can barely tell there were planned plantings but I can see them between the branches. The plan is to clear the tangle a bit- it looks rather scary in a residential area. The fun part, planning a desert garden, has to wait a bit.

My question is- how can one tell if ocotillo is dead or not? I know it looks dormant until the rains come. I have two plantings in the tangled brush that are alive- little leaves all over. The other sets look the same as they always have, gray. Are some slow in growing leaves? Their texture is interesting and I am contemplating keeping them even if they are dead. I see metal tags- obviously somebody bought and planted them but they aren't very tall- about 4 ft for the non-green ones.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

Comments (2)