SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txangoddess

Bees in my yard and big box store plants

txangoddess
9 years ago

New to this forum in particular ...

I'm very concerned about bee populations, and I do a moderate amount of activist stuff against Monsanto and neonicotoids.

On the gardening side, I try to keep bee friendly plants around. I don't wildflowers down, but with new plants I have to be frugal, so I buy from home gardeners who cut a lot of deals, or pick up free plants being discarded, or buy discount at Lowe's. Just got a butterfly bush there two weeks ago.

So I was very concerned, because something came up in my facebook feed last week about how big box stores use neonics on their plants. And I have noticed four or five dead honeybees in my yard the past week. So I'm thinking its the butterfly bush.

But getting to my question, how long will this plant be dangerous? Does the pesticide that I am guessing was used on it make it deadly for its whole life time? I mean, it is a bee-friendly plant in its natural state ... should I leave it since I already have it anyway, or should I trash the whole plant right away?

I really don't want to be responsible for killing any/anymore bees. I did try to google this too, but I guess I am not facile with the appropriate terms to use because I couldn't find an answer that way ... thanks in advance to all who reply

Comment (1)

Sponsored