SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jen512

Phoenix citrus. Selections based on orientation and size?

10 years ago

It's our first foray into fruit trees in Arizona, and we're trying to make good citrus selections given our backyard. It's a typical tract home subdivision with cinderblock walls. There are two long, narrow spaces available for citrus, and we're hoping to have as many and as much variety as is reasonable given our space. Interested in everything: lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit, kumquat...we love it all!

1) The first is west facing, about 20 feet long and 8 feet between the wall and lawn edging. What varieties can handle full afternoon sun? I'm happy to protect them while they're young, but I'm not sure which are most likely to be happy there once they're mature.

2) The second space is north facing, about 50 feet long and only 5 feet between the party/cinderblock wall and our retaining wall. Retaining wall is 2 feet high. Lots of winter shade and summer sun. Which citrus are most likely to handle those types of exposure? Also, for that narrow space, should I just go for dwarfs? What's the verdict on those? Or some folks have recommended I put in full sized varieties and just be aggressive about pruning them, "high density/backyard culture orchard" style...?

And before you ask, the east facing wall with afternoon shade is already given over to the vegetable planters :) All advice is welcome!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus