SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caleb_lau20

How to select citrus trees at the nursery

Cal
6 years ago

I’m in the market for some new citrus trees and have noticed that the trees I’ve been seeing in nurseries come in different shapes and sizes, some with oddly unbalanced or lanky limbs; others seem really short and stumpy, etc. It’s been difficult for me to find what I think to be a well shaped and balanced tree straight from the nursery. Is this normal?

Additionally, what are some tips or suggestions on what to look for when selecting the best specimens at nurseries for container citrus (other than healthy leaves, disease/pest free, etc).

For example, what is the effect of different rootstocks in a containerized environment (standard vs semi-dwarf vs true dwarf rootstocks)?

How does the initial tree shape at the nursery effect the mature tree shape (tall central leader vs short with low branching)? How much does this matter?

5g vs 15g, is the larger starting size worth the head start?

When is the best time of year to have the best selection of trees available at nurseries? Is my difficulty finding well shaped trees because all the well shaped ones have already been picked out by others?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

(FYI...I'm in Southern California, Zone 10a)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus