SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brockeverly

Shade tree for small yard

brockeverly
12 years ago

So I had done a little homework and decided on an Indian Laurel for a 15x15 dog run on the side of my house as it can easily be pruned to the size I need as it ages, but when I got to Lowes to pick it up I was swayed to another tree which I am now kicking myself for purchasing and planting before doing my homework. What I needed is something to provide shade that is an evergreen or semi evergreen, deep root system to avoid damage to my foundation and walls, ability to prune to a point that it can easily be walked under to clean up the area. The person I spoke with recommended a Shamel Ash for the area, and that could not possibly be any more wrong. This area is bordered by my home, garage (with AC unit on a pedestal behind it), block wall, and wrought iron fencing. It is planted dead center of the area, but everything I have read says this is asking for problems years from now. Shallow roots to knock over the walls, crack the foundation, etc. As for the height (told us it would get around 40ft, but its double that) and diameter, I am sure with pruning I could control that, but I don't know what to do about the roots being shallow. I deep water my citrus trees once a week for two days through a drip system so my yard stays moist. My question is, through this deep watering can I combat the shallow roots, or should I pull this tree and make them exchange it?

Comments (9)