SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ejbrymom

Need help with small shade tree, any small maples?

ejbrymom
13 years ago

I am looking to plant a nice shade tree (preferably no bigger than 30ft tall or so). This will be a memorial tree planted in memory of my parents and my dog (his remains will be under it). I want it to be a sturdy tree that my boys can climb and play in and one that will last as long as we are in this house. I want a TREE tree (not a crepe or something like that). It needs to be able to handle SUN. It will be planted facing South. We have a small piece of property .16. Trees we already have on our property include TOnto Crepe Myrtle and BRadord Pear out front), Tuscarora Crepe & Kousa Dogwood in the side yard, 2 Yoshino cherries and one oak out back).

We had considered a Amur Maple but it is invasive in other areas. A redbud but it is an understory tree and cannot handle the sun in that location. My landscaper suggested a Chinese Fringe Tree, Beech and Lilac - none of which I like.

I grew up with maples at my childhood home and would like to possibly plant one of them if we can find a variety small enough for our property size.

Please help thanks!

Comments (21)