SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

May 2014 what looks good/bad in YOUR garden?

grant_in_arizona
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thank goodness that week of wind is over. How annoying was that??? I am not a fan, lol.

May is such a great time of year in the Valley, isn't it? Warm, beautiful sunny days and still-pleasant nights. I still haven't turned on the A/C and don't plan on doing it any time soon, since my house cools off so nicely at night, and then stays coolish if I seal it up in the morning.

Anyway, what's looking good or bad in your garden?? For me, it's the winter stuff that's starting to look tired: pansies, nasturtiums, and alyssum that looks great since late October are finally starting to get wilty and yellow. I'm letting most of them set seed now to sprout in autumn. I'll rip them out and replace them after I get back from a work trip to New Orleans next week (first time).

As far as what looks good, there are several things, including this fun Arizona rainbow cactus that I've grown for years making its very first bloom (Echinocereus rigidissimus). The flower is huge, almost the size of my open hand, and it lasts for several days which is nice. I was barely able to see/enjoy it as it only opens in direct sunlight and I had lots of early/late work meetings this week and almost didn't get to enjoy it. :

{{gwi:403614}}

While easy to grow, so nothing to boast about, the hollyhocks are all in perfect shape right now, and most are blooming. They're surprisingly easy here, even without automatic irrigation, and they self-sow nicely too. Plus our low humidity means no rust or other foliar diseases that plague them in humid climates. Here are some uber-light pink ones smack dab in the middle of my back garden:

{{gwi:403615}}

Several of my Hoodia gordonii plants are starting to bloom too. They make neat biscuit-sized sattelite-dish-shaped blooms in late spring, and then off and on all summer and autumn. They're pollinated by ants and carrion flies, and yes, they really, really smell vile if you get close, especially on a warm spring day, LOL. I think stinky flowers are darn funny, so I love them. From several feet away you can't really smell them, but from 2 feet or closer they're just evil, hahahah. Love them! I've got lots of seedlings from the neat seed pods they produce too. I grow them outside all year of course, so I make sure to give them absolutely no water from Halloween until early April:

{{gwi:403616}}

Okay, your turn, what looks, or tastes, good/bad/awful in your garden?? Happy gardening! Grant

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics, so far, from my little garden May 2014

Comments (66)