SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigoledude

Aw yea, I'm doing real good

bigoledude
18 years ago

First, I get suckered into buying 5 Apple Blossom seeds at a buck-apiece. And, it turns out that if they are actually able to call an Apple Blossom "Mommy", we can submit them to the Smithsonian Institute!

Then I buy a "Hercules" hoping to breed some of that color into some of my future show-stoppers. Before the bulb even arrived from Holland, I read Ms. Lora's post as to the "impotence" of this strongman. Now, if I can't breed this bad boy, I'm gonna "nick" him till there's no room on his basal plate left "un-nicked".

Next, one of my neighbors was very upset and weeping really badly as she stood out front of her destroyed home (across the street from my destroyed home). She saw my pots of new Hippeastrum and told me how she had lost all of her beautiful "St. Joe Lilies" also. So, I gave this good friend and neighbor what I thought was one of three Apple Blossoms that I had. It turns out I gave her the only Orange Sovereign I owned!

I look back fondly on the days when I just stuck these "St. Joseph Lilies" ( That's what most New Orleaneans call Hippeastrum) in the ground and forgot about them. It seems the more I learn, the behinder I get!

My latest purchase was 3 Vitattum bulbs from India. They'll probably turn out to be crinums from "Joisy".

If they are in fact Vitattum, will they cross with Papilio and Rosario? Will they cross with my tetraploids? Is there any Hippeastrum that Vitattum crosses with particularly well?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths
More Discussions