SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krazyaroider

Magnolia Forum ??? anyone interested

krazyaroider
16 years ago

How does a new forum begin or rather is started? I believe there may possibly be enough interest in a forum for the Genus Magnolia...

Is there interest for a forum for this Genus???

Thanks...

~ Gerry

Comments (26)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Gerry,
    I'm not sure there's enough interest here to warrant a dedicated forum. We don't even have a swap forum for trees, shrubs, and seeds yet. Getting a Gardenweb forum started usually takes lots and lots of interest. If you're really into Magnolias, there's a Magnolia group on Yahoo. Most of the big names associated with Magnolias are on there and it's reasonably active.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

I signed up for that one once and then it didn't seem like all that much was going on. At this point maybe the level of activity is spread out too much for any one site to be busy enough to maintain serious momentum.

• Related Discussions

Interesting plant reproduction discussion on Native Plant forums

Q

Comments (4)
    im sorry, i dont have the details anymore, they are lost in history that is my mind. but the most interesting story that i remember is this white moth orchid of maybe australian decent. this had a spur of 12+ inches yet no insect was found to have that long of a tounge. Darwin said, keep looking!! years after his death, sure enough. a (night?) moth with a 14" inch tounge was found. reinforces the evolutionary theory of 1 - 1 evolution quite well. Olbrich botanical gardens in Madison WI had that orchid and that was the second time i heard the story, first time being in botany school. certainly someone here can give the name and maybe even a link? froggy
    ...See More

AR/LA state line swap if interested/posted on Southern Forum

Q

Comments (2)
    The swap will be Saturday, August 22nd. Check-in starts at 9 a.m. & the swap starts around 10 or as soon as everyone's been checked in.
    ...See More

anyone in Texarkana area going to Magnolia swap/carpool?

Q

Comments (0)
    I thought if there was anyone around the Texarkana area that are planning to attend the plant swap in Magnolia, AR August 22nd could post here. Maybe several could carpool? For more information about the swap, look it up on the Southern Forum.
    ...See More

Does anyone have any experience with a 'Freeman Hybrid' magnolia?

Q

Comments (30)
    Sorry, he could have been, but it was so long ago I did this research I can't remember now. The part about being a community college professor is all I remember. I did find my email from Andrew Bunting in 2010: The Sequoia sempervirens we have on campus which does sometimes parade under the name of "Swarthmore Hardy" is from a plant we got from the Coker Arboretum in 1994 (i.e., the North Carolina/Venable tree, also marketed by Camellia Forest as 'Chapel Hill'.). We don't having any other old plants on campus. We do have a plant of Sequoia sempervirens that is about 30' feet tall that we got from the Barnes Arboretum in 1980. So I guess he means the larger S.s. on the Swarthmore campus, is the North Carolina/Coker/Venable tree. I can't say for sure because in spite a couple visits to the campus, I never noticed either one! As I said though, having owned clones of both for a few years now, they sure do look identical, so it corroborates Bunting's account. Now would be the time for someone to propagate the Barnes/U Washington clone! Sadly it isn't always easy. In 2016 I sent Cam Forest S.s. cuttings I collected at some elevation in the coast ranges after driving around for a day looking for one I thought would be in a 'cold spot'. It was a frost hollow at 1400'. Alas, the attempt to root them failed.
    ...See More
  • jeff_al
    16 years ago

if they will allow a separate forum for lucky bamboo then almost anything here is possible.

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Yes, I will add that I have thought for years leaving magnolias out was an oversight. However, I have also posted that I thought there were too many topics and that it would be better if these were consolidated. All trees, maybe even shrubs (other than roses) could be dealt with in the one forum. Clicking on forums that aren't doing much gets old.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Jeff does make a good point. LOL

What were they thinking????

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

People kept asking about Dracaena sanderiana on the bamboo forum, I think the site may have even been lobbied by bamboophiles to set up something to draw questions about lucky bamboo away from the bamboo forum.

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OK - I see that I was mistaken, I really thought there would more of an interest by the average gardener in this genus.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I'm very interested in magnolias, having 4 different types growing on my property and with m. grandifloras being everywhere, but I agree that it's a mistake to create too many forums. I enjoy reading the Tree Forum, because it gets a lot of posts. I wish they'd combine the Shrub Forum with this one - whenever I've logged onto it, it looks just like it did several days before. I think many people who are interested in trees are probably just as interested in shrubs.
    Sherry

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

ahh, i see. the old "let's give this currently fashionable plant its own forum and they'll leave us alone" approach. very clever, those bamboophiles!

• arctictropical
    16 years ago

I believe as time goes on, more and more are becoming interested in growing magnolias. I'm for a separate forum!

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

Try stating as much on Suggestions forum, seeing if anything happens.

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Once again I "stuck the ole neck out" again and posted a request/suggestion on the Suggestion Forum.
    Please support this if you are interested in this interesting garden subject.
    Please leave "negative" remarks out if you feel that this does not deserve having a separate forum.
    I really would like to exchange experiences growing various magnolias, especially hardy Southern Magnolia cultivars.

Thank you,
    ~ Gerry

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I can't help you much with hardy mag grand cultivars, but I can talk magnolias! I'd LOVE to have a Magnolia Forum!
    Sherry

• leslies
    16 years ago

I'm curious. What do you want to discuss about magnolias that can't be discussed here?

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Why would people wish to discuss Magnolias on their own exclusive forum?

Here is my $00.02 on this topic.

1) I grow Magnolia spp. stellata, accuminata, asheii, hypoleuca, tripetala, X 'Butterflies', virginiana, grandiflora cultivars - Bracken's Brown Beauty, Edith Bogue, Pocano, -24 Below, unnamed form from Appalachian Gardens.

2) I find these ancient genus of tree fascinating, along with Ginkgo, Metasequoia, Giant Sequoia & Bald Cypress, that share approximate time frames on Earth. I also grow each of these in my Buffalo, NY yard.

3) People may enjoy sharing propagation tips exclusively for magnolias, that others may be unaware of - I realize there is a Propagation Forum!

4) People may wish to simply click on Magnolias for information for that genus or specifically for a particular specie WITHOUT having to do a GW search that could be time consuming - I know, been there, done that many times!

5) I know there are many out of zone gardeners that grow Magnolia grandiflora specifically. I have found their written experiences in many different forums - It would be nice to consolidate their experiences to the Magnolia Forum.
    This also refers to other species, hybrids, cultivars within the Magnolia Genus.

6) The novice, beginners or those that want to know what is needed for successful cultivation of this genus for where they live.

7) Someone could be searching for a specific cultivar, specie or hybrid that is not commonly known or "mainstream".
    I am searching for "Mattie Mae Smith" Magnolia virginana and Magnolia fraseri (Fraser Magnolia).

8) The average/casual gardner may not/cannot "shell out" the dollars that The Magnolia Society requires for membership. Consider if gardners add up the $$$ spent for all society memberships, think of the $$$ saved if the information was obtained here and the $$$ saved could be used for new - rare - unusual trees/plants and for GASOLINE! Nothing against societies, I am just practical minded in my approach to life.

9) The Genus Magnolia like the Genus Acer (Maples) has numerous species and like the Genus Acer is deserving of having their forum!

1. I have said my $00.02 and I hope the support is there for a Magnolia Forum. Those that feel that Magnolias are not deserving of their exclusive forum, simply do not have to click on and read this forum!

I hope this helps answer questions and generate support for the new Magnolia Forum ( applause, & cheering!)

There, I really have "stuck the ole neck out" now!!!

• arctictropical
    16 years ago

Since I live in Zone 4 in Utah, growning magnolias becomes quite a challenge with our alkali soil and dry air. A Magnolia forum would be great to share ideas on how to keep them alive, coming from those that may have similar challenges. Unlike other trees, at least to me, magnolias require more care and I would like to hear of some tips from those who are successful.

• jszilag
    16 years ago

The Magnolia is such a historic tree. I need to know more since I'm considering the Southern Magnolia on a large lot. Maybe 2 to 3 of them. Can anyone give pros or cons.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Where are you, jszilag?
    The only negative thing for some people about southern magnolias is the big, thick leaves they put on the ground - they don't bother me, I just rake them up along with the spent cones about once a year.
    Some people cut off the lower branches of their magnolias, which, to me, destroys their shape and makes them look horrible! Those wide spreading lower branches are an important part of their beauty to me. Of course, you can't grow anything else underneath them, so if you're wanting a tree with other plants under it, mag grands aren't your tree.
    If you're in the northern states, you may have to go for the more cold tolerant cultivars. Bracken's Brown Beauty is one of them, and it's gorgeous!
    Sherry

• User
    15 years ago

In response to jszilag....

Magnolia grandiflora is a stunning tree in my opinion.

You asked about whether you should consider them, but we have no idea where you are located. Most are hardy from zone 7 south and a few from zone 6b south.

Advantages:

1.) Beautiful lush leaves that can be great for year round screening.
    2.) Beautiful red seeds cones that develop around Christmas
    3.) Relatively immune to most diseases.
    4.) Big, gorgeous flowers (some up to one foot in diameter)that are fragrant.
    5.) You won't have to rake those leaves in the fall.
    6.) There are many cultivars to select from.

Disadvantages:
    1.) Those big, leathery leaves that a long time to decompose and can be unsightly on the ground.
    2.) Older leaves tend to fall off in larger numbers in the spring (April or May for me), just before the new leaves start growing.
    3.) They are only moderate in terms of rate of growth (not very fast--advantage and disadvantage).
    4.) The do not like to be transplanted.
    5.) There isn't much that will grow under its dense canopy.
    6.) Many cultivars grow very large eventually.
    7.) Roots tend to be very near the surface.

I love them though. My collection includes the following cultivars of grandiflora:

Majestic Beauty
    Brackens Brown
    Victoria
    Edith Bogue
    Green Back
    Little Gem

Good luck!

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

The extended period of littering and the deep shade cast are the main limitations of M. grandiflora as a garden tree.

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

I would be interested.

We bought a Magnolia (saucer) from a local nursery two years ago. Last year it bloomed but this year it didn't bloom at all. Just the leaves came out.
    Any ideas as to what is wrong with it?

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Needs better conditions. Try top-dressing with composted manure and watering during dry spells. Most healthy magnolias grow strongly and have a good deep green leaf color.

• krazyaroider
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"We bought a Magnolia (saucer) from a local nursery two years ago. Last year it bloomed but this year it didn't bloom at all. Just the leaves came out.
    Any ideas as to what is wrong with it?"

Well, I shall attempt to provide an answer, even though I do not have much information to go by.

1. Was the tree potted, in burlap?
    2. How big is the tree?
    3. When it leafed out was the growth vigorus and with a healthy green color?
    4. Does the tree get adequete moisture?
    5. Is your soil on the acidic side?
    6. Is there competition with other trees -light and water?
    7. What exposure does it have - E, W, N, S?
    8. Is the area where the tree planted windy?
    9. Did the tree have flower buds that possibly died during the winter? Flower buds are larger than the growth buds.

1. Where are you located? - state, city, etc.

It could be establishing itself by growing a good root system - just guessing at this point.

~ Gerry

• Julia WV (6b)
    15 years ago

Sorry I didn't get back to answer sooner but here is what I know.
    The tree was purchased at a nursery and was in a pot. It is about 5 ft. It's called a Jane Magnolia.
    Gets adequate moisture and I put in the tree spikes for slow release fertilizer in the fall. We do set up burlap near the tree in the fall and don't take the burlap away till late April/early May. It faces South. Yes, we have wind. Trees nearest to it are cedar and maple and they are both at least 15 to 20 feet away.
    I remember seeing flower buds in the fall but nothing in the spring time. We live Upstate NY near Seneca Lake. We also mulch the trees - not covering the base of tree.

I cleared away any mulch from the base today and layed 1 - 2 inches of humus/manure mix on top of the soil and watered it down.

Thanks for trying to help. Hate to lose these trees as they are so beautiful when they bloom.

Julia

• kman04
    15 years ago

It's difficult to say what happened to your tree/shrub Julia. It could be anything from growing stress last year, which caused it to not produce flower buds. It could be freeze damage which cause the still unopened, but expanding buds to be fried. It could be planted in too much shade, as this Magnolia really does best in full sun, especially in your climate. It could be transplant shock from last year causing it to not produce flower buds, or abort the few it did produce. If you saw flower buds last fall, then they should of still been there this spring and if you saw no flowers this year, those flower buds should be littered on the ground underneath and around the plant. If you can find any and if you tear one apart and it looks black on the inside, it's most likely freeze damage. If they look brown or light brown, it's likely one of the other reasons. If you can't find any, then it's likely what you really saw last fall were vegetative buds(which are big on Magnolias and can look like flower buds to some) and it's one of the other reasons, like shade, shock, etc.

Also, Magnolia 'Jane' is not a Saucer Magnolia. Saucer Magnolias are a hybrid between the Yulan Magnolia(Magnolia denudata), which is a medium sized tree and the Lily Magnolia(M. liliflora), which is a large shrub, while 'Jane' is the result of a hybrid between the Lily Magnolia and the Star Magnolia(M. stellata), which is also a large shrub. Or more specifically 'Jane' is the result of a hybrid between Magnolia liliflora 'Reflorescens' and stellata 'Waterlily'.

• funinthesunincl
    15 years ago

Magnolia Forum---GREAT idea!!!!

I grew up in Michigan where my parents had a Beautiful Saucer Magnolia in the front yard--it grew to a HUGE tree covered with thousands of blossoms every year!!! We took our family picture in front of it every year (7 of us in our family...). As we grew up, and shared those beloved memories, that healthy huge blooming Magnolia was a big part of it! 45 years later...Mom, Dad, & my oldest brother departed, that tree is still there---covered with thoses gorgeous blossoms every year!

I now live in Texas, for the last 27 years, with a beautiful Southern Magnolia in our front yard---with the perfect shape and standing almost 40 foot tall!!! One of the last pictures of my Mom before she passed, is sitting in a chair holding a HUGE magnolia blossom in her lap.

Magnolia trees---North or South of the Mason Dixon line---are a GOOD THING!!!!!

I highly recommend them to everyone!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:472231}}