SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grant_in_arizona

What's looking good (or awful) in your garden, January 2013?

grant_in_arizona
11 years ago

Happy New Year everyone, I hope yours is off to a good start! Mine definitely is now that the weather has gotten better. I had (still do) a house full of out of town visitors for the holidays and I did NOT enjoy the below average temps, rain, and cloudy days. I'm glad the weather was decent for the Fiesta Bowl parade and game.

I'm also glad to see us back in the mid 60's F and even some low 70's in the near term forecast. What about you? Did you get any frost last week? I was spared, but just barely! What about your garden? Any damage? Did you cover?

Here are a couple of things looking good this week. I hope you'll take a quick look and enjoy them, AND share updates (pics or no) about what looks good or awful in YOUR garden.

Aloe dorothea blooming away all over the garden. This aloe is mostly grown for its wonderful winter foliage color, but these almost-red winter blooms are definitely lovely too. They can get zorched in cold winters, but so far this winter they've done great. Definitely one of the more frost tender aloes, though mine have done great without any protection for several years now.

{{gwi:394193}}

'Vista Bubblegum Pink' petunias going INSANE in a large glazed red pot on my patio. I really love the color, and the abundance of blooms, and the neat very branched, bushy/cascading habit of this variety. Like all petunias here, it's a great performer late autumn through early summer.

{{gwi:394194}}

A Stapelia blooming on the east side of the house. Most of my stapelias bloom heavily in late spring and then again in very early autumn, but they can throw out a random bloom any day of the year, like this one that opened today. Great, fun, fly-pollinated stinkers! Wilson the tennis ball included to show size.

{{gwi:394196}}

Finally, a fun, huge, Ageratum houstonianum plant that is just covered in fun blue flowers. This "blue floss flower" has a reputation for not tolerating heat, but this plant (and others in the garden) survived our long hot summer just fine, even making the occasional summer bloom. Now it's absolutely covered in flowers. It self sows around my garden and I definitely encourage it!

{{gwi:394198}}

Okay, your turn! Let us hear/see what's looking good or awful in your garden. Happy gardening everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: What's blooming in my garden, so far, January 2013

Comments (16)