SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sivyaleah

Questions On Deck Gardening

Laurie
15 years ago

A little background info first.

I used to be rather serious about growing roses a few years ago, until two unrelated knee injuries made it increasingly difficult to make it enjoyable enough to continue with. My roses, alas, went into decline due to my husband not wanting to pay attention to my instructions/advice and I finally just threw up my hands, let him have his way and pretty much ignored the whole affair.

Currently, I've moved to an apartment in a neighboring town due to life changes. While I've lost a backyard, I do have the luxuary of having a rather large deck off of the back of the apartment. As large as the bedroom, in fact. Very sunny, very private, however on the 2nd floor of a two story building.

I'd like to attempt growing some roses in pots, possibly putting up some trellising along the concrete wall which faces the sunniest area. I'm somewhat concerned about it being so high up. It is windier up there than the ground, so I'm aware that dehydration may be an issue. However, it's also well protected on each side by fencing/walls, so maybe it won't be too bad.

I'd like some suggestions on which types of roses would be best suited for this type of location. I'm thinking about sticking with old roses, like the David Austins because I had very good luck with them in the past, adore strongly scented roses and they have low maintenance for the most part. The thorn issues they have don't put me off. I also like how they look in the vase, that old-fashioned look.

Feel free to give any and all advice. It's been so long since I've really sunk myself into this, I could use a refresher in everything.

Laurie

Comments (5)