SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renthorin

My first container/deck garden. Are these good ideas?

Renthorin
13 years ago

Greetings. New to site and mostly new to gardening.

My yard is 95% treed so the only place I can grow a garden with enough light is on my 24x22 deck. We don't use it for anything so it might as well house some plants.

I don't want the water from the containers discoloring the wood so my thought is to cover the deck with plastic. My deck is sloped away from the house so I'm not worried about water sitting on the plastic. The only plastic sheeting large enough to do it with a single piece is the heavy black garden stuff. Question - will black plastic make it too hot for the plants in their containers?

For the containers, I'm thinking of using some of my many 5-gallon buckets and also some large kitty litter 'tubs' my friend gave me. I will drill drain holes and put an inch or two of gravel in the bottom.

For lettuce and corn, I'm thinking of using kiddy pools, again with drain holes.

The deck is about 5 feet off the ground so my dogs and the local critters shouldn't be a problem. I will be catching rain water in 55-gallon plastic drums to help with the watering.

Any suggestions or concerns about my plan?

Thanks,

Brody

Comments (33)