SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gthumb21

My First Container Garden

gthumb21
11 years ago

Here is a map of my first container garden.

{{gwi:19041}}

It has a self-watering system (each container is siphoned together to a float valve bucket that is gravity fed by a rubbermaid roughneck trash can). Each container is 5 gallons. Containers are either 1 hole at top, 6 holes on side, or 12 holes on side. Each container is actually 2 containers, the bottom is for water storage. A sock wicks water up into the top container through a hole in the bottom of the top container. 20 1/4" holes are drilled on the bottom of the top container for drainage.

I am using a mixture of 70% Lambert Peat Moss, 30% Perlite/Vermiculite, with 1 cup of Agricultural Lime and 2 cups 5-3-1 Organic Plant Food per 5 gallon container.

So far the lettuce looks amazing!!

I am growing from seed indoors: jalepeno pepper, sweet pepper, summer squash (zucchini), green beans, sugar peas, matina tomato, sweet cherry tomato, cilantro, basil, green onion. Will be moving most of these shortly to 6" planters and putting them into the Cold Frame until I can plant them outside. Peas are going in tomorrow.

I have a bunch of root vegetables that I ordered seeds for, and as soon as I get them, I am planting them directly into the containers (except for the celery root, which needs to be grown indoors first from what I read).

I also have a Kaffir Lime Tree that I am starting from seed, but those seeds are coming from Thailand and I don't get them for a few weeks. :)

Please give me pointers on my setup and I would be open to trying anything the community suggests. Also note that I have a few open spaces as well to plant something different.

Comments (18)