SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmboy1_gw

Dollar Value of Trees in Parkway and Property Devaluation

farmboy1
11 years ago

So the local village board has decided to have a much needed new sewer system installed to replace the 60- year old one that isn't holding up that well.

Sadly this has required the cutting down of some nice mature trees in the parkway. None on my side, but two nice red maples (with great form and color) were cut down yesterday. I had caught up with the village clerk last week and told her of my displeasure, but there's not much she could do about it at that time.

The residents were only given about a week and a half notice that the trees would be cut down. Now the front of their house will be facing the harsh summer sun full-on.

As they bought the house 4 years ago, and they liked having the trees there (that made the house more appealing), they are now very disappointed. Even though the trees were clearly in the parkway, their removal takes away from the aesthetic appeal and value of their house.

The village's attitude sort of seems to be one of "since it's in the parkway, we can do what we want with it". I won't argue directly with that, but will question whether the homeowner can likewise complain about property devaluation.

Does anybody know of any possible legal precedents for a situation like this? This is in Illinois, BTW.

The attached photo shows them in the background, one orange, the other still green. There's a dying green ash hiding in the background, too.

Thanks,

vince

Comments (15)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!