SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
effdeevee

magnolia x 'black tulip'

effdeevee
15 years ago

Dear Tree Forum Members:

I have the chance to purchase a 6ft-8ft, blooming-size "BLACK TULIP" magnolia tree for 1/2 price, (end-of-season-sale). So, I need your help, quickly!

None of the web-sites showing this magnolia flower, post any pictures other than when this flower is in the early opening bud stage. Does this flower ever expand past the tight-cup phase, into perhaps, a wider opening bowl-shaped flower, or, are these flowers always tightly cupped? Last spring, I saw this flower up close only one time, but it was just after the buds started to expand, and I never had the chance to return to see if the tepals on this flower would reflex any further as the flower aged. The color looked a little muddy too, but I read that flowers on a juvenile tree, of this variety, do not display the true, rich, deep-burgundy red colors until the tree ages a bit. True, ... or, just some BS?

Would love to hear your experiences regarding this particular variety from ACTUAL growers, rather than reading some hyped-up copy put out by nurseries looking to unload inferior plants/trees. When it comes to printed descriptions in catalogs, etc., I believe practically nothing that the sellers say. I learned this from long, hard experience. Caveat emptor!

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

Frank

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21