SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovemytrees

Question about Maple Tree seeds DD planted earlier this spring.

ilovemytrees
10 years ago

Hi.

My 8 year old and DH took several of those maple tree helicopter seeds, put them in a plastic cup with a wet napkin and they sprouted, or whatever you call it. Then they got a planting pot, put our native soil in, and planted all of those seeds, and they all grew into baby trees. You can see them at @ILovemytrees Twitter. Just click on the photo there.

Could you all tell me, by looking at them, what kind of Maples they are? And what should I do with them in terms of winter.

I was going to leave them on our North front porch for the winter. I don't think we have a big enough yard to plant all of them, but DD's heart is set on it. Can we wait to plant them til next Spring?

I can't believe all the seeds took. All we did was leave the pot outside in one of our protected fences for our Forsythias, and water it once a week or so. They grew a lot for their first year, I think.

We're getting lake effect snow on Wednesday so I wanted to find out now if leaving them on the porch is okay. Thanks.

Like I said if you want to see a pic of the trees you can go to that @ILovemytrees Twitter page. I just posted a photo of them. It's not my main Twitter account, it's just an account I created for this picture because I want to protect my privacy.

This post was edited by ilovemytrees on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 12:08

Comments (11)