SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
montana_rose

wintering roses in raised beds

montana_rose
13 years ago

I did a search before I posted this and didn't find the answer I was looking for, hopefully this hasn't been discussed ad nausem.

I am thinking about constructing long trough planters and placing them on my cement patio next to my house. I have completely run out of room in my garden and like all addicts, I still want to expand. My question is if I construct raised beds next to my home but on the cement patio, am I just asking for complete winter kill in zone 3 Northeast Montana?

I have had pretty good luck (fingers-crossed) in keeping non-hardy roses alive by using a lot of winter protection and digging my standards up and placing them in this weird room under the garage that doesn't freeze--don't ask about this weird room I have no idea what the previous owners were into, I call it the dungeon and ONLY go down there to check on flowers and bulbs!

If I put a bunch of roses in these long trough planters next spring and do my usual winter protection, do you think the roses will be ok? They would be next to the house which would offer them some protection from the wind. I know there are no guarantees in zone 3, but would love some expert advice. I simply don't want to plant a bunch of roses in the trough planters and have to dig them all up for the winter--way too much work and I don't have the room to bury them all in my garden.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (5)