SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarabell

Help me choose a shade tree

sarabell
15 years ago

I am still having a hard time picking the right tree! :) I can't make a decision, so I'm hoping for some guidance.

Qualities I NEED:

-Strong enough to weather our weather (at worst, tornadoes and 110 mph wind storms lol, but mostly typical plains stuff), in a pretty unprotected location

-Fall color. Really any, preference for a bold yellow or orange, but anything as long as it's beautiful

-(eventually, at least) Shade for my 2 story house

-not huge, problematic surface roots; also not going to dig into the foundation of my house eventually

-if not native, at least non-invasive

-going to fit OK in my yard, the grass space is roughly 30x30 now.

-slightly alkaline soil, full sun. It's not a dry nor too-wet location, we water as needed 1-1.5 inches per week in summer, I believe.

Qualities I WANT:

-not super slow-growing at least. Fast would be nice, but I'm not willing to give up too much strength for it. We were stuck with a huge, gorgeous Silver Maple in our old yard, 'nuff said.

-Vase or oval shape

-attractive to birds and wildlife

-a tall trunk-- I want to be able to walk under it fairly easily, to not have too worry too much about keeping enough clearance on the sidewalk, etc. I also like the LARGE trunks at maturity.

-Something that's not EVERYWHERE, here that means not ornamental pears, not white-spring-flowering, not birch or ash (speaking of, don't want something all that disease-threatened right now)

I'm sorry that's so long, & my thanks to anyone who's even willing to read it all. I feel like I've been searching forever, reading library books and searching the web, and I'm just having a hard time finding the right fit. I think it exists, though! Some of my problem is that some of my wants aren't things that are readily listed (like trunk size, etc lol). It's just such a time investment, I want to do it right!

Comments (13)